Trying to get my chemistry in order...

Jan 2, 2015
Punta Gorda, Fl
So, I'm relatively new at this, and think I'm doing ok. I picked up the TF-100 test kit back in the beginning of January. I found I was having a difficult time keeping the FC high enough and was constantly adding chlorine and acetic acid. I have since purchased the parts to get the SWG working again. That required adding some CYA. Here is where things stand as of a test earlier this afternoon:

FC (13), CC(.5), pH(8.1), TA(90), CH (275), CYA(65), Salt (3000), Temp (~80), CSI (.27)

I started the SWG at 50% and it climbed really fast. I currently have it at 25% and it's dropping every so slowly. I add acid once a week to adjust the pH (about 3-4 cups), and it keeps climbing that quickly.

2 questions:

1) Should I shut the SWG off (down to 0%) for a few days letting the FC drop to a better level, or leave it where it is and let it fall and then bring it up so it stops dropping slightly when it reaches 6?

2) What do I look at to figure out why the pH keeps climbing to the top of the test weekly? I don't mind adding, but this seems like it's a lot of acid to me..

TIA

1) I would turn the SWG off for a day or two. I suspect you will need to turn down the percentage a little more before FC will settle in where you want it.
2) PH is rising because your TA is too high. Add acid to lower PH to 7.2 any time it gets up to 7.8 and over several weeks the TA will come down. The ideal TA is usually around 60, though it varies a bit from pool to pool.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are well on your way to knowing how to maintain the pool. :goodjob: I agree with Jason and will just point out that if the pH is getting above 8, you are not testing and adjusting often enough. The combination of the higher TA and the use of a SWG is going to make your pH rise faster than a non-SWG pool with a lower TA. Just try to test the pH more often and keep it in range and the TA should drop some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.