Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often should a person shock their pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often should a person shock their pool?

I recently learned that the pool term "shock" is a verb not a noun. It means to add a lot of bleach to a pool right?? (I'm using the BBB method).

I was wondering if it's recommended to shock a pool weekly, every other week, only after a really heavy rainstorm. When I shock my pool how much bleach should I add?? Am I basically trying to get a really high chlorine reading?

I have a 30' above ground vinyl lined pool. Thank you everyone!

Jeannie
    30' above ground pool, 20,000 gallons, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often should a person shock their pool?

Yes, shock is getting a high level of chlorine, and it is dependent upon your CYA level. There is no set schedule for shocking; after a heavy rainstorm or a high bather level is good. Otherwise, it's what you feel comfortable with. Some only shock once a month or less. Me, I try every couple of weeks, mostly because of the summer winds and rains we get here in the desert get stuff in my pool, as well as the fact I have babies swimming in my pool every so often.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

You shock when you need it. That's when your combined chlorine is above 0.5ppm, or like Swimgirl suggests after young swimmers or any other event that introduces contaminants. I rarely shock my pool during the swimming season. I have once this year since I opened the pool, and often go through an entire season without shocking except when I open. The key is to know the condition of the water and do what needs to be done based on the test results.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Jeannie,

I have only needed to shock my pool twice in the past two years.

You can go to Pool School (link at top of each page in sub-heading & link in my signature) and read the article on "Shocking Your Pool".

Most folks only shock their pool if the need arises, or if you are in doubt (found dead critter in pool ).

Before/after rains, heavy bather loads, etc., most of us just increase the FC ppm a little to cover the need. Everyone soon learns the personality of their pool!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    I have only needed to shock my pool twice in the past two years.
    Me too, well, three times. Two vacations and closing last fall.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll shock my pool once upon opening, once in the middle of summer, if needed, and once at pool closing. I open it the beginning of May and close it in October.
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool is open year-round, and in eight years I have NEVER shocked the pool. If the chlorine level is kept in range, the CC level is below .05, and the water clear, there is no reason to shock.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

My answer is if you maintain the pool's FC correctly, the answer is NEVER.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Why are we answering a 5 year old thread?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

10. Back To Top    #10

You are observant today Jason! I overlooked it completely!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, for full disclosure ... a newer member had asked a question here and gotten a few responses and I then merged all that back into their own thread. Sometime after that, chief likely responded to the question that was no longer here.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Moderator fail!

(I'm guilty too! I almost responded but I didn't want to repeat chiefwej verbatim.)
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

Well chief responded a LONG time after I had already moved everything else. I almost moved his as well, but decided to leave it and then everyone started responding.

I should just delete all this mess and move chief's as well
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

very sneaky jbliz...I got my eye on you
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.