My 1st Test Results

Sep 24, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
So this is my 1st test with my new Taylor recommended tester, hopefully I did this right.

Ph = 8.00
Acid Demand = 2 drops for 7.4 ph
CYA = 50 ppm
Chlorine Free = 7 ppm
CC = 1 ppm
TA = 60 ppm
CH = 400 ppm

Please let me know what you guys think, this is a NEW pool about 3 weeks old now.

Thanks a bunch

Your PH needs to come down a little. 7.4-7.5 would be great. Your CC of 1 is showing a little something. It took 2 drops to make the sample clear correct ? If the test is correct I suggest you bring it up to shock level to eliminate it. Your shock level is 20. Use bleach to raise your FC to shock level. Is your water crystal clear ? Has there been a lot of leaves or debris in the pool lately ?
Everything else looks good. Your FC is in range now. Has it ever fallen below 4 ? You may want to do an OCLT Test to confirm if you have organics or not consuming FC while it's at shock level.
Are you using your inline chlorinator ? ?

Thanks for the quick response.
For now I'm using an inline chrorinator. I use 99% 3 inch tabs from Clorox. The pool guy was here a couple of weeks ago and dumped a jug of liquid chlorine.
The water is crystal clear, no leaves or debris may be a bit of dust from the construction and plaster residue as it is fairly new. I do see some sand in the bottom as well from the new deck, nothing much tho.
Until a little over a week ago, there was no chlorine in the pool as builder did an acid startup and asked me to hold on the chlorine for a week or so.
Thanks again for the assistance, I hope that I'll pick this up fairly quick.

With your new start up you shouldn't raise your FC to shock level for 30 days. There is an article in Pool School on acid start up's.
As long as your water remains clear I think you'll be fine. Keep your FC in range. I would switch over to using bleach for your chlorine source as your CYA level is good now where it's at. You don't want that level to get too high. The tabs will keep adding CYA.
Have you looked at these articles.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Recommended Levels
Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask. ?

Happy Thanksgiving! :DI would echo what pwrstrk says about reading and what to read.

You will need to gain the knowledge of what those test results mean and how you should correct (if necessary) any of them.

What is the CH of your fill water?

Have you lowered your pH? What is it currently?

There is no need to do the acid demand test. PoolMath will calculate your dosages.

Hello, simplesolid; this is my first time using this forum but noticed your question and let me tell you that is very crucial the first 90 days of new plaster to keep your water well balanced, other wise you might have stains in your plaster and other kind of issues which i could talk about. Your pool cannot have high levels of chlorine at all, the chlorine is a high oxidizer and will allow any metal stain at your plaster plus other issues. Also check your levels of calcium because taylor test kit offers it and its very important; your pool is releasing calcium from the walls by brushing the plaster on the start up. No one mentioned before on your comments. Tablets has half of chlorine and half of cyanuric acid, you cannot have cyanuric acid on your pool either. Please check on that and finally I recommend to you a bottle of sequestrates to prevent stains on your plaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello, simplesolid; this is my first time using this forum but noticed your question and let me tell you that is very crucial the first 90 days of new plaster to keep your water well balanced, other wise you might have stains in your plaster and other kind of issues which i could talk about. Your pool cannot have high levels of chlorine at all, the chlorine is a high oxidizer and will allow any metal stain at your plaster plus other issues. Also check your levels of calcium because taylor test kit offers it and its very important; your pool is releasing calcium from the walls by brushing the plaster on the start up. No one mentioned before on your comments. Tablets has half of chlorine and half of cyanuric acid, you cannot have cyanuric acid on your pool either. Please check on that and finally I recommend to you a bottle of sequestrates to prevent stains on your plaster.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saying that the pool cannot have Cya in the water at all is simply untrue. You don't want too much that makes it "over-stabilized", but having a little in to start will not hurt the pool finish. As time passes, even after a couple of weeks, the correct amount should be maintained at all times.

Yes, the water should be properly balanced new finish or not. New pool finish will give rise to faster pH increase and the OP should be aware of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.