1/2 hp pump ????

Aug 13, 2014
Jacksonville/Fl
I'm Looking to change out my Hayward superpump 1 1/2 or add 1/2hp maybe a 3/4hp to take more advantage of the SWG and lower my utility cost I have 2" pvc pump is 20' from pool less than 1' lift

I think I would like to use a properly sizes single speed for 12-16 hours run times what is your advice, Thanks

To lower utility costs you want a two speed pump, or perhaps a variable speed (variable if your electric rates are $0.20/kWh or higher). You also want to shorten your pump run time, typically 4 hours is more than enough, though some pools will want a bit more than that.

Jason I have 25,000 gallons and use a SWG doesn't it have to run to produce and only produce 1/2 pound in 12 hours and my pool is very active, I pay $0.11/kWh also why would I need the 2nd speed I have to maintain 22-2400 gph to keep my SWG happy because I have two SWG's, Thanks for the schooling in advance

Ah, two SWGs in parallel do need a higher flow rate than if you had just one, most likely canceling out the advantage of using a two speed pump. Plus, since they are undersized for your pool you may indeed need quite a bit more pump run time than what I said.

Long term you would be better off with a properly sized SWG and a two speed pump, which would allow you to use low speed for a much shorter time. But with electricity that low it is difficult to justify replacing both the pump and SWG at the same time unless they both happen to break at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.