Leaking from the waterfall return?

newpoo

Nov 2, 2014
CA
Hi All,

I just bought a house with a pool. unfortunately, the pool is leaking.
I had a leak detection company onsite, and they found nothing.
Then I was instructed to take off the lid of the waterfall pump, and monitor the water line to see if the leaking stops.
Because they suspect it's the waterfall return which is leaking.
However, I don't understand how can that be possible, as the waterfall pump has been always off since I moved in.
Did I miss anything?

Thanks a lot,
Newpoo

Welcome to the forum newpoo :wave:
Don't have an answer for your question but hopefully someone will be along to help you out.
Photos of the set up might be helpful. How the pump gets water and how the water gets back to the pool.

It turns out removing the lid of the waterfall pump doesn't stop the leaking.

After removing the lid in the morning of Nov5, it still lost 1/2 inch water in 10 hours.
So I guess it should be something wrong with the pool vessel.

One thing I don't quite understand is that the leaking speed is slowing down. When the pool is full, it lost over one inch per day. After losing the first 3 inches, it slowed down to about roughly 1/4 inch per day. The evaporation has been excluded from these numbers (I had a bucket beside the pool).

The slowing could be that the water is getting closer to the leak so there is less water (water pressure) pushing the water wherever it is going .. just a guess.

Is the pool itself losing water or is this a pond that makes up the waterfall that's going down ??
Understanding the plumbing set up is half the battle. Pictures would be helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.