Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and Shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and Shocking

I've got a question about shocking the pool with a Swg. I've been shocking the pool for a few days now using bleach and running the pump 24/7 with the SWG set where it normally is (to maintain 3ppm FC). The FC stopped falling Sat. night, and held steady untill Sun. night. Sun. night I cut off the SWG and left the pump running and the FC dropped from 21ppm to 17ppm so I'm still killing algea.
    Is this the proper way to determine your through shocking?
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG
    1 1/2 hp pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and Shocking

IMO, yes. I don't have an SWG but that makes sense to me, if the SWG is adding FC youre not getting an accurate result. So turn it off, to get accurate results.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

That's my thinking.
    I believe if I hadn't of turned it off the FC would've held through the night.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

In spring when I open the pool (no cover) its a mess. Turn off the SWCG and shock wiith bleach until I can keep CL over night with 0-.5 CC. Then I fire up the SWCG.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

To get a meaningful measurement of FC loss overnight you need to turn off the SWG.

It is fine to leave the SWG on to help maintain the FC level except when you are doing the overnight test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. I feel better about the way I'm approaching this now.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess depending on how excessive is excesive? its says in my SWG manual for the Auto Pilot that excessive chlorine levels can cause premature cell failure, I would leave it off
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

If the pump and filter is off, isn't the SWG off, too? We don't run the filter overnight so I test at night then in the AM before hte pump comes on. is this wrong?
    14188 Marcite pool. 1/2 hp pump Hayward cartridge filter. SWCG Goldline T-15 Turbo cell. Spillover spa. Birdcage.

9. Back To Top    #9

The unit we have, Aquatrol, has a on off switch for the SWG. It will still allow the pump to run using the built in timer on the unit which the pump is plugged into. In addition to that there is a switch that allows the pump to be off, timed or on. What I've been doing is set the one switch for the pump to "run", leaving it in that position 24/7. Then after I check the FC in the morning I flip the other switch up to begin generating chlorine throughout the day, at night I simply move the switch back to the off position and it stops making chlorine but the pump remains on through the night.

The reason I'm doing this is because the pool has algea.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

If the pump is off then the SWG is off. However you do want to run the pump a little before testing to mix the water and you want the SWG off for that.

When they say excessivle FC can damage an SWG they mean really really high levels, way a I've shock level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School