Epson Salts in a Spa..?

Sep 14, 2014
Calgary / AB
Hi there,

I checked the old thread about this and it doesn't seem to answer the question:
Is it a good idea to add Epson Salt (magnesium sulphate) to a Spa?

I already have 2000 ppm Pool Salt in there for the SWG.

Maybe this will give enough of the muscle relaxing sensation on its own without the need for Epson Salts.

If I added Epson Salts, would it alter my Salt levels or other water balance, asides TDS..?

I suspect this added complexity isn't required in my situation, but it's something I've wondered about for a while now.
Especially as the Epson Salt package states it is for use in "Bath, Whirlpool and Spa".

I assume that, once added, the Epson Salts stay until the next water change. For better and worse..!

Regards - D

Epson Salt is not salt from the point of view of the SWG. If you add Epson Salt, you can't reduce the amount of regular salt you are using. Epson Salt also adds sulfates, which can shorten the lifetime of the SWG cell plates significantly. Epson Salt does provide an interesting experience for the bather, but isn't recommended in combination with a SWG.

Ignore TDS. There is no point in even measuring/mentioning it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.