Closing FC Level - Shock or 50% Shock?

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Closing the pool this coming weekend and currently have the FC at shock level. The pool school in-ground closing instructions say to let the FC fall back down to about 50% shock level before closing. Why wait for it to drop? Seems like a higher FC level would be a good thing to help the chlorine last through the winter. What do others do?

Doesn't it say to let it drop before adding poly 60? If you are not adding the poly, then you should be fine to close I think.

.... maybe I should go read the articles again since I never experience this so called closing :D

I don't understand the purpose of letting the FC drop to 50% prior to adding Poly60. I know that Poly60 has a chlorine demand but can't understand why we should let the FC drop prior to adding Poly60 and then have to add more bleach to bring the FC back up again.

I don't plan on using Poly60 this year but want to understand what the reasoning is behind the instructions. Also, is there any reason that I shouldn't close the pool at shock level?

I think it has something to do with the demand o the chlorine by the polyquat. If the FC is higher and you add the poly, the poly gets oxidized much more quickly.

That's a best guess from what I remember reading. I could also be completely off base.

I bring my pool up to shock level (or slightly above), no algaecide, and cover it up.

I had to artificially increase my FC with bleach to shock levels to close because my SWG quit working due to low temp. But I got up to shock levels. Added my algaecide and closed the autocover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.