Is there a significant benefit in purchasing a variable pump?

Amanda14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2014
East Northport, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
My info should appear below but I have a 1hp Hayward rebuilt pump and it has worked fine for 16 years. I only had to have the cord going into the unit fixed last season. My question is this:

Local pool place is having a big sale and variable pumps are on sale. Is it worth it to pick one of these up? Should I stay with what I have until it breaks or is it truly a big difference makes on electricity bills etc?

Thanks in advance!

That depends a great deal on your electrical rates. High electrical rates, more than $0.20/kwh, make variable speed pumps very attractive. I don't believe electrical rates are nearly that high in NY, so odds are a variable speed pump is not such a great deal in your area.

Me thinks I will remain as is. They claim at this store that you can save a ton of electricity rats but if ain't broke I won't fix it.

Thanks!

Your 'delevered' electric costs on Long Island is one of the highest in the country well over $.20 a kWh, I think more like $.25- .29 per kWh
PSE&G LI is offering a $450 rebate on most VS pumps bought by sometime in November. A hayward superpump VS is about $650-700 on the web so your net cost would only be $250 -300

You should save much more than that the first year.
Also note that the installer gets $200.00 from PSE&G

Thanks EVCharge - I can't find that program on their website. Also, the installer also gets $200? Why? Do they have to be a licensed electrician to get it?

Thanks!

I'm on a iPhone and can post the link later or you can go to the Hayward websit and find the listing of rebates by state to get the rebate details for PSE&G LI. The installer has to be registered with PSE&G for the rebate to be vailid

Thanks - I found it via Hayward. Interesting that the installer needs to be PE&G licensed. Not sure what they actually need to install, but plan to call them.

My variable speed pump suction inlet sits lower to the ground than my old pumps inlet so the installer had to re-plumb some of the PVC. Also a variable speed pump needs a Controller-relay that is compatible with variable speeds (which needs to be wired) unless the new pump comes with it's own controller. I think it is $200 well spent. ($20 in gas, $20 for parts, $20 for vehicle, $70 for installer and $70 for the boss who ordered the parts and who trained the tech.

I live in California and during the summer have step rates but normal price is .15 per kilowatt and I replaced my old pump wity a hayward e costar and run my pump 7 days a week 6 hours a day at 1000 rpm on 2 inch pipe and my pump now draws about 90watts, it saved me a good amount this summer and wity local and hayward rebate I only paid 850 for the pump so well worth the 450 extra for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The extra cost of getting a 220 line puts some people off getting a variable speed. But, Pentair and Hayward will both be launching 110 variable speed pumps for 2015. I run my 1HP superpump on a timer, so that's basically the same as a VS running 24/7. The one downfall of VS is some heatpumps wont work on lower speeds and flash Low Flow error codes constantly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.