CYA and FC levels

Spades

Oct 3, 2014
Riverside, CA
OK ive done a ton of reading the past few weeks and i think im doing ok. My pool seems to be pretty clear for the most part. Recently i learned about CYA and FC levels (the hard way)... So now brings up the question of --- With CYA of 80, the target FC should be around 9, but is this fine to swim in? Everywhere i read says you shouldnt swim in a pool with FC over 4, im confused. I need to keep the chlorine up high enough to counter the effects of CYA, but then what good is it if it cant be swam in?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Simple, stop reading about pool maintenance anywhere except here and you will not worry. ;)

Perfectly safe to swim up to shock level which for you would be a FC of 31ppm. The bogus 4ppm number assumes that you have 0ppm of CYA (like many indoor public pools).

Plenty of threads in the forum discuss this if you want to search.

Welcome to TFP !
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us help you better.
At some point you may want to look into lowering your CYA level. The recommended range for a non SWG pool is 30-50. Right now your at the high end of the range for a SWG pool. I'm not sure if you have any water restrictions in the area you live that would not let you do some water replacement.
Otherwise just maintain an FC level of 9, 10 being the high end of the range and never below 6 and you'll stay algae free.
Forgot to mention. Target 9 as the PH test will read a false high at FC levels of 10 or more. Another reason to lower CYA levels. That way at a lower CYA level you can target the high end of the FC range and have plenty of wiggle room so you don't fall below your min. ?

Just updated my signature, i hit refresh and am not seeing it.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome :) This weekend we swam in our pool for the 1st time in a month and everything went just fine, no bleached skin or clothing :) Unfortuneately, the water is getting quite cold (73° water temp) and im now looking for ways to heat up the water. I have in place 500' of black irrigation tubing, but our nights are roughly 58-62° and the black tubing can only mange to raise it about 10°. Im now reading up on 120V spa heaters and see if i can implement something to extend my season another month

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.