AGP Winteizing using Aquador

telseg

Sep 15, 2013
Bellmore, NY
This is my first year closing a newly installed AGP. I have an Aquador and was able to utilize it in addition to a winterizing plug for the Pentair Aqualuminator to seal off my pool without having to lower the water which currently sits about mid-skimmer. I have heard mixed recommendations about the need to lower the water. I live on Long Island which typically gets pretty cold during the Winter months. Am I okay leaving the water where it currently is or should I lower it? I thought one of the main benefits of the Aquador is that it eliminates the need to lower the water below the simmer, but if there is a possibility of something getting damaged from ice expansion in combination with my fairly high waterline I will do some draining.

I would drain some more off. Take it down to the bottom of the skimmer opening at least. The ice expands up wards. Just keep an eye on things. If the ice is getting near the the top rail chip thru it and drain some more off.
I use the aquador also. I had to drain more off of mine to keep water level down. That way the ice could expand more. I have winter cover that has a mesh cover that let's water seep thru.
I like the aquador as you don't have to drain so much water off. It may not be swim season but you still need to keep an eye on things.

I usually don't drain but I have a solid cover. I have the same setup as you. This year I lowered for CYA purposes. If you have a solid cover use something in the center to raise it. I posted in another thread what I use. This create a space where the ice can go as it freezes. To keep water off I have a length of gray pvc electrical conduit cut in half and run 3/8 clear tube thru it to create a siphon. Clear so I can see the water coming. You don't want a mouthful of cover water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.