DE backing up through the Main Drain/Skimmers

acamato

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Long Island, NY
When my pump shuts off, DE backs thought the pump and gets into the pool via the main drain (or skimmers if I shut off the main drain). What could be causing this? I read that it may be a suction side leak causing a air pocket in the filter that expands when the pump is turned off. I had one and repaired it. I still have the problem. I do not have any air in the filter & pump basket. Any other suggestions?

Is your filter below the pool water level? Pressure reading high? Have you bled the filter right before shutting the pump off?

The filter is way above water level (IG pool). I just purchased the house last year. The filter has ran about 9 PSI with fresh DE. A few months ago it creeped up to 20 PSI, I back washed, put in new DE still 20 PSI. Then I cleaned the grids & replaced 1 of them, down to 18 PSI. I am at a loss here. I think I may drill and tap some more holes for more gauges. I want one right at the discharge of the pump, so I can see what the pump is doing when I am in recirc. This will tell me if it is a filter problem or return piping.

I believe that part of the problem is the liquidator. When the pump shuts off, the level in the liquidator drops introducing air into the pump. (I have the liquidator piped into the drain of the pump). I am looking into installing a solenoid valve so the line on the liquidator will close when the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.