I'M Frustrated Algae comes back no matter what

My current numbers 30,000 gallons vinyl liner
    fc 7
    cc 0
    tc 7
    ph 7.6
    ta 100
    cya 40

I've shocked in the past got it stabilized where no algae growing for weeks ... test twice a day most days never let the pool get below 3 fc ...almost all the time between 4.5 and 6

Today it poured and poured pool filled up 4 inches with rainwater ..... just took my readings which you see above. pump is off from 1pm to 6pm on goodcents Gulf Power Electric electric save cost. Other than those 5 hours pump runs the rest of the time.

Algae was back in full force tonight on the bottom I cleaned with vac to waste. I and my other buddies have had terrible problems with algae this year. They want me to put in algae killer the copper stuff I don't want to but am losing patience.

Help any ideas

OH also have had problems with yellow/brownish powder on seams and small spots on bottom in same spot every day ...I say powder, because when you rouch it it goes pooofff. no slimy feel to it at all. I put white cotton socks on my returns stopped the problem untill today with the deluge of rain we had we had.
    Smile you might make a difference

Dan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'M Frustrated Algae comes back no matter what

Are you certain its not dirt from the rain water? You guys have had a ton of it lately! What is your source of chlorine? Your numbers look fine to me but one of the moderators should chime in soon with some suggestions.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Major rain storms tend to reduce the FC level, bring in organic contaminates, and encourage algae to start. You often need to add extra chlorine before the storm to avoid problems.

It is also possible that you have persistent mustard algae. However, the symptoms are not definitive. Mustard algae is much more difficult to kill completely. If you don't kill it all it comes right back as soon as your FC level comes back down to normal levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I was having a huge algae problem (imagine thick pea green soup). I followed the instructions in the sticky on algae and now have crystal-clear water. It is the clearest it has ever been! I have had pools for 12 years and it is only after reading the information on this website that I understand how to keep it crystal clear and healthy. Thanks TFP!
    Lufkin, TX
    Truly Thankful for this group! No more algae!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    1-1/2 hp Hayward Power-Flo LX pump w/200 lb sand filter
    Intex SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Another thing to check or at least do during your next shock is to make sure all parts of the pool are in contact with the shock level water. I had an issue earlier in the year where I needed to maintain very high chlorine level in order to keep the pool clean. As it turned out I had containmation is the air piping that was connected to by therapy jets. Once I cleaned out those pipes I have been able to maintain normal chlorine levels.

So check all of the out of the way spots, behind the pool light, under the ladder etc.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all your help and answers. I guess the best answer in light of what I know and observe is the fact that when we have 3-4 inches of rain with winds that blow my crepe myrtle flowers into the pool (it look like it's snowing pink flowers) the pool is getting a lot of organic matter to say the least ... combine that to the 88 degree water temp and it does not take long for algae to get started.

I'll keep on trying to keep plenty of POP

Dan

7. Back To Top    #7

last week or two has been a pain for me, then we had a ton of rain last night...more rain this weekend, I just bumped up my CL level and will hold it there till its done...not a fun August...
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

8. Back To Top    #8

What kind of filter do you use? A DE filter with a tear in the grid will create that poofy dust on the bottom. I had the same problem`had to break down the filter, clean it good, and replace the broken grid. Fine ever since.
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

9. Back To Top    #9

i'm using a sand filter.

In reading in this forum and others I think it's time for a whole section devoted to filters and pool owners experience with them.

Because of the white cotton socks I have to use to catch what I can only assume is pollen Does my filter sand need replacing or just the trick of adding DE fromt time to time.

What say you all you experts?

Dan

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I and my other buddies have had terrible problems with algae this year.
    Dan,

I would recommend you clear your algae issues first before spending money on your filter. If you can keep your pool clear of algae, I have a feeling you will not need to work on your filter.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School