Mottled, Stained new Plaster! What now?

Flatlander

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2012
Oklahoma City
We plastered on May 22 afternoon, the next morning they acid washed and when completed, we started filling. It was filled on May 24 and my wife said the PB put in 3 gallons of acid(31%??). I can't remember for sure but filter pump and SWG were turned on within a couple of days. And then on June 5, PB added salt. We brushed and brushed and slowly got the water balanced using the TF-100 kit. Water is crystal clear, kids had fun swimming all summer but the plaster is still mottled and stained in a few places. And we haven't seen PB since the first of June, and I haven't called him either.
Today, looking at the plaster I realized we had an acid wash but never a proper Acid Startup for new plaster, thanks to Mr.PB.
My question finally is: Can/should I do a proper Acid Startup now? A few areas are the Tahoe Blue color, a few areas are white and most is a mottled combination. I am thinking shutting down both pumps, adding 7 gallons of 31% acid, brushing 3x/day until all areas are correct color, then neutralizing until pH back to 7.2, then pumps back on and rebalancing water.
Only other possibility I know is a bad mixing of the plaster prior to application by the plaster company????
Comments or advice. Thanks, Mark

You should call the company you paid to plaster your pool. An acid start is to burn off plaster dust after a newly plastered pool is filled with water and you are way beyond that. There is always some mottling with any colored plaster. Go check out the Wet-edge videos - they even point it out. It is expected to an extent, it would be easier to judge your problem with pictures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.