Did I jump the gun?

Mar 5, 2014
Katy, TX
Day 6 of startup on my new 19k inground plaster (with quartz aggregate) pool. I have been reading up in this forum and thought I would get my pool all balanced perfectly quickly. Well, I did that, but now I have read some things about plaster startup that make me nervous that I balanced too soon (esp CH). Here are my numbers that I have been getting the past 2 days (I'm testing twice a day right now)

pH 7.6-7.8
CYA 30
FC 2-3
CC 0
CH 210
TA 90

I am using trichlor until my CYA gets to about 40-50, then switching to BBB. Did I raise my calcium too early? Or should I just let it roll? Oh, and I'm in the Houston area, so I won't be closing my pool.

Thanks!

Don't worry about the CH. My fill water had a CH of dbl what yours is...

Use the pool calculator to determine how many pucks it will take to get your CYA to 40...then switch over to Bleach.

If you haven't seen it, check out the CYA/FC chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
Keep your FC above the min. number for your CYA.

Keep a close eye on the pH. It should try to climb. Of course the pucks will help at least a little at preventing that.

Just an FYI: your FC should be at least 4 if not 5 or 6 for safe measure :) Congrats on the new pool!

Day 6 of startup on my new 19k inground plaster (with quartz aggregate) pool. I have been reading up in this forum and thought I would get my pool all balanced perfectly quickly. Well, I did that, but now I have read some things about plaster startup that make me nervous that I balanced too soon (esp CH). Here are my numbers that I have been getting the past 2 days (I'm testing twice a day right now)

pH 7.6-7.8
CYA 30
FC 2-3
CC 0
CH 210
TA 90

I am using trichlor until my CYA gets to about 40-50, then switching to BBB. Did I raise my calcium too early? Or should I just let it roll? Oh, and I'm in the Houston area, so I won't be closing my pool.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.