Inline chlorinator not producing chlorine in pool

Feb 24, 2013
Hello,

I typically use the trouble free pool method with bleach. However with splash out and heavy rains, my cya level has dropped from 70 to around 25. My pool is chewing through a ton of bleach...maybe 3 or 4 gallons a week. It was much easier to maintain proper chlorine levels when my cya was higher. I have pucks, so I want to use those to raise my cya slowly to 50 or 60.

I have had 8 pucks in my pentair inline chlorinator for about 5 days on level 5. My chlorine level is zero! Do you guys have any insight on how to check for broken parts on my online chlorinator? I really don't want to have to buy a floating feeder.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: I'm not terrible concerned with the chlorine level, but I do want to get cya into my pool! My cya test is showing no changes as well.

Good question!

I don't want to drop $40 on cya when I already have it at home...trapped in my half full bucket of chlorine pucks. ;) I do t want to use a floater because about 20 years ago my brother went to the hospital for chlorine inhalation because he was playing with the floating chlorinator. I have three kids and I watch them while they swim, but stuff happens.

How about switching the pucks to your skimmer and leaving the pump on. Doesn't fix the chlorinator but it gets the FC and CYA into the water.

CYA can take up to a week to show up even after the pucks dissolved.

I say drop a couple in the skimmer and tell the rug rats to stay out of it. I did that when we went on vacation just as insurance for my SWG. I was in same boat. Needed some cya as well. It worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool thanks! I put some in my skimmer for now. The pucks in the inline chlorinator have gotten wet and look slightly eroded but not 5 days worth of use. I wonder if there is a blockage at the bottom because it seems like water is entering the top. Hopefully the skimmer trick get some cya and chlorine in the pool.

The other thing to do would be to put some food dye in the chlorinator and see if it gets injected into the pool. If it is plugged up either hit it with a hose to try and push the blockage through or try a vacuum to suck the stuff out of the passage that injects it into the return stream. Might have to use a smaller tube duct taped into the end of the vacuums hose to get something to fit inside the chlorinator.
I don't have one so I'm not sure what the best way might be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.