Cost conundrum on plumbing.

Vince-1961

Jul 1, 2014
St. Simons Island, GA
I have an above ground pool that has perfectly good Intex plumbing for general circulation, filtration and SWG. Even though it's the middle of August, the pool is already starting to get uncomfortably cold due to all the shade. Cutting trees is NOT an option. I do not want to install a heating system that will have high ongoing operating costs, so I'm looking at the big, beautiful, south facing, shadeless roof on my two story house and wishing the sun would heat my water. Apparently the Intex 633T pump maxes out around 15 feet of head and it's about 35 feet to the top of the roofline. Therefore, I am trying to figure a way to get water from the pool to the roof of my house for solar heating and back to the pool.

I have two options: 1) redo my plumbing with a different pump, or 2) add a 2nd pump and a 2nd circulation system just for solar heating without altering the current plumbing. I want to do whichever will cost less, both up front and in the long haul. I'd rather spend more up front to get less expense in the long haul than be cheap up front and spend a lot every month hereafter.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in this regard?

I have not given much thought to the first option to be honest. On the 2nd option, I was contemplating a garden hose attached to one, or both, of the drain outlets built into the pool liner running over to a pump and using the 1/2 or 5/8 inch ID black polywhatever tubing for D.I.Y. solar panels or even just using more garden hose up on the roof. That means the whole 2nd circulation system would be a 5/8 inch system. In this regard, 2 questions: 1) would it move enough water to heat the pool and 2) does anyone have a suggestion for a pump?

The two options would cost about the same since they both require a new pump and new plumbing and a new filter. You don't want to send dirty water to solar panels so the water must go through the filter. In order for the panels to prime, you will need a bigger pump than the Intex which then means the filter also needs to be bigger to handle the higher flow rates. So you might as well sell the Intex pump and filter and get some money for them.

Before you jump into DIY with a "poly-whatever tubing", please be aware that "poly" covers a dozen different kind of tubing.
Most importantly - I check Home Depot's black tubing they sell for irrigation - the spec sheet indicates a max temp of 80 F - NOT something you want to spent a hundred hours on and have burst the first time you try to run it.

One of those DIY projects involves painting corrugated roofing flat black and running water UNCOVERED down the grooves. If you can find an old door on Craigslist with single-pane glass to cover the thing, great - but putting the hottest water you've got onto an evaporation plain makes no sense to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.