Help with equipment selection to update/upgrade from antiques

Oct 12, 2013
Phoenis, AZ
Long time lurking and first time posting. I would like recommendations on replacing my current single speed pump and considering going to SWG. May want to add a water feature and solar heating at some point so I may also consider automation of some type beyond what is needed for SWG. I have been looking at the Pentair IntelliFlo VS and VF pumps and PentAir SWG and was thinking that it might be good to stay with one brand from a future compatibility standpoint. I have a big concern about SWG given the climate and chlorine demand in Phoenix. Some of what I have read indicates that you can't generate enough chlorine here without burning out the generator cell in such a short time that it is not cost effective in the long run. I don't mind paying more now to get the right equipment that will last and be compatible with long term plan for more. Any help you all could offer would be greatly appreciated.pool2.jpg

In DFW area. We have pentair 3hp VS pump, IC40 and SolarTouch controller. 20k gal, pebblesheen. Love all of it. We have lots of trees so we run the pump 24x7 on about 1100 rpm for constant skimming, at @150w this is cheap. This also means the IC40 is always running, so we run it on 20% most of the time and 40% during high demand time. I don't know for sure, but it seems like this would make it last longer than 80% or 100% 8 or 10 hours per day. We're on our third pool season with no issues. No automation is needed for the IC40.

Thanks! What I have read so far seems to indicate people are having to replace the generator cell out here about every 5 years. To your point though maybe they are only running 8 or 10 hours and running at 100%. Anyone from PHX have any coments on SWG and how long the cells last here and what level you are running them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.