Marine Head Unit and Power Source Confirmation

///MZG

Aug 18, 2014
Seattle, WA
Hi all - I've decided to implement a more permanent audio solution in my yard. I'm leaning towards an Infinity Bluetooth head unit which I will need to transform the 12V DC to 110V in order to power the unit. Questions are:

1) Is this unit all I will need? http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Spa-Stereo-12VDC-Power-Supply---120V240V-Primary-P10000C789.aspx

2) Currently powering some Polk outdoor "soffit" speakers with my old home theatre amp - can these be used with a boat stereo?

Thanks - I did a search and found some info but was a little fuzzy.

-Zach

Why are you wanting to go with the car/boat stereo? IMHO you would be better off getting a bluetooth adapter for your current setup or buy a 110V stereo that has one already. My reasoning is it would be better suited to a "yard" stereo. If you go with the car/boat stereo you have to get the Powerr supply (the one you linked will work) or get a computer power supply and adapt it. The speakers you have will work but they are probably 8ohm and car/boat should be 4ohm if I remember correctly. Then there is the chance that the car stereo might not have enough power to "fill" the yard and you would have to get an amp to boost the power. Not sure if that power supply would handle an amp also. If you give a little more detail on what you are trying to accomplish I can help more.

To answer your original questions.

1. You will need the power supply and the stereo head unit
2. The speakers will work but might not be optimal sound or loudness.

Thanks for the reply Blacklisted. The reason I was leaning towards a boat head unit is because of the climate we live in. Obviously it rains a lot here which is problem number 1. 2nd problem is that we are about 300 yards from the water (saltwater) so things can easily be destroyed when left outdoors even if they are in a cabinet. All that being said, I never even thought of getting a Bluetooth adapter for the amp. I'll have to look into those. My intent is to stream Sirius or iTunes from my phone.

You could add a Sonos connect to a home receiver in the house and wire those to your outside speakers and be able to play anything you want.

I have a Sonos connect amp set-up for my outdoor Polk speakers and they sound great. If you try a car receiver with home speakers your wattage will drop in half. Hope this helps.

Zach,

On our outdoor BBQ island's side wall, I permanently mounted a marine grade head unit very similar to what you described. It is subject to all weather conditions (hot, cold, & rain) and it has worked very well. I purchased a Jensen JHD40BRT for the Bluetooth & IPod connectivity. The head unit (160 Watts) easily powers my 4 Bose outdoor speakers just fine (they ARE NOT boat speakers). With this unit, the speakers can be turned up plenty loud. And I (and my kids) like loud music. Therefore, I would suspect the Infinity head unit should have no problem with your existing speakers and should do a good job for you.

For my 12V power source, I bought a basic 5 Amp power supply from Radio Shack for $35. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21919056#

Here's the link to the head unit we purchased. https://www.rocktheboatmarinestereo.com/html/67607.html

Best of luck.

Mark

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.