Filter sand in the pool?

The base on my filter has cracked on the pool side and the filter is titled about 15 degrees toward the pool. I bought this pool from a friend who couldn't figure out how to maintain it and was tired paying $500 a month to a pool company to take care of it. Since he's seen it under my care (using the BBB method) he's tried to buy it back. Anyway, I believe I'm getting sand in the pool. Small "clumps" of dirt/sand over most of the pool. I vacuum and almost immediately the "clumps" begin to reappear. The reason I think it must be sand is that when I brush it the water remains crystal clear. It doesn't feel "gritty" like I would expect sand to feel though. The only markings on the pump and filter (on the 7 position valve) is EcoKleer. It's a 19 inch diameter filter. I replaced the pump recently and accidently had the filter valve on 'closed' while I ran the pump for a couple of minutes. Would that have damaged the laterals? Or would the tilting of the filter be causing sand to enter the pool? I'm trying to engineer a way to jack up the filter back to level and support it. Or could I wait after I've closed the pool, which will be in about a month or so?

Tie a stocking or knee high to the return jet and see if it catches any sand. If it does, there is something wrong with the filter. If it doesn't, the "sand" is coming from elsewhere.

A tilted filter can potentially break a lateral, or crack the main feed pipe, though often enough it isn't a problem. If you are getting filter sand in the pool you will need to disassemble the filter and have a look around inside to see what is broken.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.