Empty pump skimmer basket

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
Sooo I go to turn the pump in this afternoon and my pump skimmer basket is dry and the concrete pad it sits on is wet. Anyone???
ga9eryqu.jpg
abu4a6ed.jpg

Edit: also just added DE over the weekend and my pressure is up. Could that be the cause of that? I noticed that after I filled the basket and turned the pump back on that my filter was leaking from the valve on top, however, it wasn't screwed on tightly ...

Is there a drain nut on your pump? It could be loose and leaking. I have a drain nut on the basket housing on the pentair intelliflo VS.

If it is leaking it will leak when the pump is off. It is on suction side of the pump so while the pump runs it will be sucking in air rather than leaking water. But as soon as the pump goes off, it will start leaking water.

+1 one with Suley. It won't leak while running on the suction side.

That loose fitting on top of the filter will cause a leak with the pump running and cause the wet area around the pump on the pad. It will also allow the waters weight to suck in air and let the water run back to the pool out of the filter and out of the pump basket.
Was the pump basket empty all the way or only down to the bottom of the inlet line ?? If all the way down it's likely the plastic plug at the base of the basket is leaking. Look for more than one plug, mine has two. They should have teflon tape or pipe dope on them to help seal them.
If it's only down a couple inches in the pumps basket, to the inlet pipe it's likely the loose fitting on the top of the filter caused the water to run back to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.