The Beckert Pool

Okay, it SEEMS like the SLAM process is now complete! The FC level did not appear to drop overnight. I'll confirm that tonight by doing a more precise overnight test (I didn't actually wait 30 minutes and confirm the chlorine level before I went to bed, I just added the calculated amount that should have brought it to shock level).

The thing is, I can still see some black algae adhering to the walls. Is it possible that algae is dead, and just needs to be scrubbed off?

I thought of another question: When you're doing the various tests, such as the FC test, and you're adding drops one at a time and counting them... obviously you get to the point where you can look at the shade of the color, and know that it's going to be at least X number of drops. Can you just go ahead and add X number of drops all at once, then do them one at a time? Or do the drops need to be added and swirled one at a time in order to get an accurate reading on the test?

Update: Pool is now good to go (and has been for a while now). Black algae problem has been resolved. Yay!

Latest question: The wife has lately been interested in getting a nice pool robot. I'm curious, what's the general forum consensus on pool robots? Are they worth it? How long do they last? How about getting used robots?

My dolphin dx-3 has been absolutely incredible. I have a de filter so not having to hook up and vacuum and dirty up my filter all the time is great. Easy enough for the wife to throw in and not bad to clean, just hose out the bag. It's been one of those expensive purchases I have never regretted.

I notice you have a lot of trees around your pool. Ours will be the same way - neighbors own land adjacent and it is completely wooded and I have two trees nearby I wasn't willing to part with. Are leaves and twigs a huge problem? I know I will have more than those who don't have trees close by, but curious as to how much of a headache it is going to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's not too bad, except during Fall. Then it does either become a constant battle with the leaves, or (as in the past) we get lazy, give up, and clean it all out when it gets warm again. This year we're going to try to stay on top of it, but we'll see what happens.

One year we actually did cover the whole thing during fall and winter, but it was such an incredible hassle getting that cover on, which nasty water, leaves, and debris accumulated on over a period of months, and then when it finally came time to take the cover off again, there was so much weight on the thing that a lot of stuff ended up spilling into the pool while taking the cover off. So, we decided it was more trouble that it's worth.

If we ever get to the point where we can afford one of those fancy hard covers you can walk on, we might try that. But otherwise, we'll just semi-maintain the pool year-round.

I was hoping it wouldn't be too awful. It seems like a win/lose situation - we get some amazing shaded spots in different places around the pool during the day, but then there is the hassle of the leaves. We are planning to get one of those mesh covers for ours that lets water in (so it doesn't pool up) but keeps the leaves and other debris out. And you can walk on it so no issue of one of the dogs or some of the wildlife falling in. Not sure what they are called, but it kind of looks like a trampoline when it is all stretched out across the pool. I am hoping that will keep most of the fall foliage out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.