My Poor Boy Aerator

A venturi version could be possible, with a little bit of modification of a few fittings.

What comes to mind quickest is a 1-1/2" tee, with a 1/2" or 3/4" side inlet. grind out the stop shelf inside the side inlet, so you can push the 1/2" or 3/4" all the way into the flow area. Cut the small pipe at about a 45* angle before you glue it in, with the open end of the pipe towards the outlet.

Might work, but you will have to experiment a bit to get it right.

A venturi version could be possible, with a little bit of modification of a few fittings.

What comes to mind quickest is a 1-1/2" tee, with a 1/2" or 3/4" side inlet. grind out the stop shelf inside the side inlet, so you can push the 1/2" or 3/4" all the way into the flow area. Cut the small pipe at about a 45* angle before you glue it in, with the open end of the pipe towards the outlet.

Might work, but you will have to experiment a bit to get it right.

Yup - tried using an ABS Y Pipe shooting straight into pool with and extension that pointed back to jet. I then used an extended 8" piece with a plug and a 3/4" braided hose to feed air down to the flow.

Untitled-1.jpg

I get some suction but it is minimal and it is really picky about where that braided hose end sits in the flow and angle. So it's not consistently delivering air.

A venturi will work better if you restrict the main water line (like an hour glass) in order to increase velocity.
T an air line in the narrowed section.
Velocity will increase and pressure will drop through the narrowed section of tubing, in turn drawing more atmospheric pressure air into the T line.
Note. Make the narrow section of water pipe as short as possible to reduce friction flow losses.

If you know the approximate flow rate, you can use Bernoulli's equation to find the pressure difference.

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/venturi_flowmeter.cfm

But my guess is that it needs to be much narrower. A spa jet is maximum about 7/16" orifice for a 1 1/2" pipe. Why not just use a spa jet venturi tee?

BTW, with the venturi tee, the entire setup can be left underwater with only the air pipe sticking above water level. You can then make it so it will not stick out much from the pool wall. Less of a chance someone will hit it.

Maybe more like this?

View attachment 32749

1 1/2" to a 1" reducer, 1" T pipe and back to a 1 1/2"

Will the reduction be enough?

Like Mas says, if you have a spa jet with a smooth tapered reducer it would be better than the rough squared edged T fittings you have in the drawing.
The length and angle of the taper makes a difference. It is most important to have a smooth taper to reduce eddies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is what we did last year to cool our water when it got got tub like. Not the same problem this year. Aeration does raise your ph though. Hard to see but laterals have small holes drilled in them on an angle that puts water out at a 45 degree angle to water line. And no that overgrown weed field is not mine?. .
emu4ebev.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.