New Filter Run with No DE for a week with algae

deeneu

Jul 12, 2011
We had a new Sta-Rite System 3 De Filter, 53 Sq.ft, and backwash valve installed by a company. They said to not run the filter and they would return the next day to see if there were no leaks. After noticing that the pool filter was running the next day, I assumed that he had returned an everything was fine. The psi was 10. The pool has a little algae; therefore, we shocked it and let it run. Timeline - Monday (insall) Tuesday (pool was running) Thrusday (shocked pool for algae) Sat(noticed filter was leaking and psi was at 20. Since the filter was leaking around the middle, we took filter apart and noticed that no DE had been added. Filter was clogged with algae. We washed the filter elements, restarted pool - the psi was 17. We added the DE and the psi was 18.

Question: Do we possibly have filters that need to be chemically cleaned because there was algae and it ran for 5 days without DE? Should the filters need to be replaced? Should we demand anything from the repair company?

Welcome to the forum!

Possibly, but soaking them in a mild bleach/water solution overnight should kill any embedded Algae and allow you to rinse them clean. I would also check the pressure gauge to make sure it is in good working order. I sounds like it might not be. See if it returns fully to Zero when the pump is off.

I got my gauge here, and have been very pleased with it. http://tftestkits.net/Flow-Meters-and-PSI-Gauges-c12/

Check the type you have and replace it if it needs it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.