New Construction in Austin, TX

Well, first I'm jealous if Hyrdangeas grow in Austin. I love that plant. Second, I might toss the design ball here to Beaded Biker - she has some great design ideas and has a good eye. I do like how you could solve the height of that deck drop off with a planter box so that the drop off wouldn't be as high...and then you cap the planter box with your 1x1 tile :) (I had to sneak it in somewhere) But you could build the planter box up enough so it may not be level but it can cut the drop off to an inspection passing distance. Then you put some nice pots along the edge to mark it.

What's next on the schedule? - Karen

Karen - lol, that's my wish, too. Even mint died in that backyard so if anything can survive...I don't think the Hydrengeas will make it but they sure look nice in the design.

We are not sure how the PB will resolve the deck height issue. He couldn't make it this week due to death in the family.

Next week is gas line install, inspection, electrical work, junk clean up. Then plaster.
Our hope is to have water in the pool by next week.

Wow that design drawing sure is a little on the optimistic side on the elevation isn't it.

If you can bring in enough dirt to raise the elevation of the planter so its not a drop off, that would be the best solution. If you still need a railing and glass isn't an option, you could always use something like cable instead of balusters, which would still satisfy code for safety and be a lot less intrusive to the view. You may even be able to convert it to glass later on down the road if you need to. Especially if you use metal posts.
I'd probably cap the wall in the same limestone/travertine stone you have on the steps on the deck and mirror the stack stone look on any retaining walls. That way it all flows together and makes it feel natural to the landscape. Your glass tile really pops on your pool and thats where you want to keep the focus for maximum impact. Especially with the faux negative edge. Its really going to stand out there and draw the eye in.
Hey and if you can grow hydrangeas, I can't remember which it is, but if you amend the soil a certain way it encourages the blue rather than the pink and having blues and purples in your flowering blooms will also help to complement your waterline tile choices. Blues and purple blooms with just the odd smattering of reds for a bit of punch and contrast will really highlight your color choices and help set it all off and give you a lovely Mediterranean feel I think.

Its really going to feel like a very relaxing secluded oasis when you are done.

Oh and hey thanks Karen for the compliment *blushes*. But you haven't done too shabby yourself with your design choices, because your pool area is shaping up to look freaking awesome!

Sorry, I know nothing about how you are going to solve the planter box issue.....but I know a few things about hydrangea, because I have a lot of them in my front yard, and they are prolific bloomers. I think the corner that you are thinking of putting the hydrangea is perfect, with shade and filtered sun. The type of hydrangea you need to get the called "Endless Summer Hydrangea" and be sure to use a well drain and acidic soil (you can buy in bulk at local soil wholesaler such as Living Earth). They have specific acidic soil blend for acid loving plants, and hydrangea is happen to be one. Your PB may be able to find it for you. If not, you just get a lot of peat moss in bales, fine pine barks, and loose soil blend and mix it all up then you can plant your hydrangea. Keep the soil moist, and you will love the blooms in the spring and the fall. They root the cutting very well too. So, if you buy one, you can easily root more and do not need to buy anymore. Also, they only bloom on old woods....so be sure not to trim off all the old woods in the spring prior of leaves coming up. Otherwise, you will only have leaves and no flowers.

Over the river and through the woods... More like under the flagstone patio, flowerbed & retaining wall and... well... through the woods...

Gas and electric finally down, gas through inspection. Over 120 ft laid down.

imagejpg6_zps64db48cc.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsd601eb4c.jpg

Oh my gosh! But now that I see the trench, I think - "oh how pretty a little creek bed would look running through the woods". I like this photo too because I can see the stacked stone on this side of the pool and the steps/walkway. Your backyard is beautiful. I really miss the trees.

And thanks CC for the tips on Hydrangea. I had no idea. Can peonies grow in North Texas too? - Karen

Yes, North facing, no afternoon sun is the key. When you plant the root cutting, do now burry too deep about 2 inches. It is not going to grow too well the first or 2 or sometime even the 3rd year. But it will keep coming back more full and eventually around year 3 or 4, they will bloom big and beautifully. So give them a try.

CC - we will need a class on how to plant and keep things alive!!! You're the best..,thx much.

Karen, Twolabs - thank you.
We do have challenges with landscaping now that the pool is in. Erosion is now #1 thing to address.
It's also sad too that most landscapers we've talked to recommend bringing the soil up high on those walls to address the draining issue. But this would mean the stones will be underground...bummer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Met with PB (superintendent) and the designer last week.
They've agreed the drop off on the deck will need to be fixed at their expense since it is a design issue.

The area around that section will be regraded - the drop off will be < 28 inches (currently > 40).
Retaining wall with matching stones will be built to wrap around the existing wall.

Now:
0bc2b8c48cb53aad7159fb6e14cdfbec_zps21e6d25c.jpg

What we think we were told :) :
4c7feb8be01af6fdd896beefc6e3d446_zps88c8b3ff.jpg

Clean up was supposed to be on Friday but the crew and PB were MIA:mad:

Looking really nice with all the clean up work done. I like how all the tones come together between the tile, the stone, the coping and the deck. Yours may be the first stop on the pool crawl tour ...well second if Martin Kennedy lets us start with his Somebody is going to have the map this out...Karen

Thank you all!
We seem close but far :(
Have been dealing with gas leak and scheduling issue (fence, trees, additional stone walls,landscaping..etc) and snakes!!!!
Yes, we have way too many snake sightings than I'd like...but nothing we can do about that.

On the up side, the 'real' pool owners got to come out to visit the site for the first time and the seem really pleased.
195c1a2c05c9477af18cd688183ce7d3_zps1e60c64c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.