Draining Pool — Backwash or Pump?

Well the mallet also help prevent more of this wearing situation on the clamp? (And are you going to tell me to get a new clamp assembly too -- even if that was joked about a few posts up? Yeah -- in the $170s.)
qejevatu.jpg

What you see as rust is actually from the coil grinding up against the surface, and maybe even some separating of parts of the clamp on the left.

But anyway, since I'm a newbie (with pools and DIY home improvement things), everything seems like a possible emergency!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news -- it just twisted out. Bad news -- forgot to get a picture of the new one installed! But it seems to work fine. By the way I tried the mallet trick with a new nut but it still sounded like a tortured goose -- and the tighter I went, the lid would sort of seat itself more properly by jerking ever so slightly into place.

Also, what sounds should one hear when starting up a pump/filter? Faint gurgling? Belching? Nothing?

I'd go for that beer tonight, but family is in town.

Hmmm...I think maybe it does drain out -- after its off for a minute, I think i can hear the water draining. Or is that just the water pooling?

It does always have the same amount of water left in it each time I open it, like a third up the height of the cartridges.. How much h20 should be in it?

Don't think so. When I turn it off, and if I don't mess with the air relief valve, I see the pump basket remains full with (just-about) bubble free water. Then I turn it on and the pressure shoots up immediately to around 18, then right away down to 15 where it stays.

Now if when I shut off the pump I open the air relief valve, after a minute I can hear the water and watch it leave the pump basket, and I hear the water drain somewhere. Also happens if i go to clean the pump basket. So it only seems to drain if some part of it is opened.

All or some of this normal?

Cool! What's with the psi going up before settling? That was new. Every day it's like this thing behaves a little differently in some tiny way (thanks so much for bearing with me BTW).
Coming soon: getting my KK working properly again.. Then getting some weird brownish yellow stain out of the pebble. Feels great to have my chemistry in line, though -- my pool is holding onto FC like nobody's business.

Do you have a single speed pump or a variable speed?

When my pump starts up, it runs at high speed (3450 RPM) for about 10secs in what is called "priming mode" (but my pump is full so it's not really priming) and then it drops down to its normal speed (2500 RPM) and runs. During the "priming" phase, the pressure is obviously higher.

If your filter is not totally full during start up, perhaps it's just reading high until the the water level in there reaches some steady state. Since it quickly seems to reach it's normal operating pressure, I wouldn't sweat the transient value in the beginning.

Glad to hear your chemistry is holding. As for the brown spots, try rubbing a trichlor puck on it to see if it bleaches out. If not, it could be a metal stain and you might need to consider an ascorbic acid (vitamin C) treatment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.