Air in filter

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
So I just upgraded to a 3000 (or 2450 depending on how you read it) gph Intex filter (model SF60110) after my other sand filter died. It really pushes a lot of water.

When I run it, there is a lot of air in the system. I've checked all the connections and they seem fine. I also removed the eyeball outlet and unhooked the skimmer. But no change.

Is this a problem?

Short videos of both systems:

Pre-filter basket
Saltwater generator tube - generator is off

They're the latest intex twist type. I put my finger on the vacuum relief valves and don't feel any air.

So I take it the video is not what it should look like and the pump should have zero air in the pre-filter basket? It doesn't get any worse and the pressure is strong so I'm not sure why it's an issue, maybe someone can tell me.

I've bled the valve on the pre-filter to get as much air as possible out. I've tightened everything.
Maybe I should work with soapy water and coat every intake to see where air is coming in?

Ok, I listened to the vacuum relief valve again and it was making noise. When I cover it the noise stops. So I covered it with the included plastic cap. Now I have far less air in the pump. Just a few bubbles are visible going thru the SWG (with SWG off).

I'm not sure where it's leaking now. Is this little bit of air bad for my pump? Should the standard be zero air?

Ok, I listened to the vacuum relief valve again and it was making noise. When I cover it the noise stops. So I covered it with the included plastic cap. Now I have far less air in the pump. Just a few bubbles are visible going thru the SWG (with SWG off).

I'm not sure where it's leaking now. Is this little bit of air bad for my pump? Should the standard be zero air?

The first time I vacuumed with the new twist valves, mine got air in the system through the relief valve just like your video shows. It kind of through me off, that's when I figured out about using the caps when I vacuum.

Under normal operation mine clears the air pretty quick at initial start up and stays from no air to just a very small air bubble. It stays that way cycle to cycle, only gets air in it again when I vacuum and forget to cap the relief valve.

I think you may have a bad relief valve. You could try switching the inlet and outlet valves, you could run "capped" all the time, call intex for a replacement......

I fixed the 2nd leak and now my pump is air-free!
The leak was on the input port. The O-ring appeared slightly deformed as if it had gotten pinched. I carefully re-installed it, tightened, and no more leak.
Now to get a new relief valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could try lubricating the o ring with some o ring sicone lubricant like this - http://www.instockpoolsupply.com/Ma...A7KOEABn-rftlUYpK2QbYLBJjyw6VExGMwBoCpUnw_wcB

this should allow the seal and help to keep it from pinching or deforming

I have some arriving tomorrow and will try re-lubricating all O-rings. I did use spray food-grade silicone o-ring lubricant but maybe that doesn't work well enough.

I did cap the relief valve on the suction side yesterday and it helped a lot. But it's still leaking somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.