Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First electricity bill

1. Back To Top    #1

First electricity bill

We had a 21,100 gal IG/SWG/Cartridge filter pool installed a little over a month ago. We just got a our first electricity bill. WOW! $75 increase over the normal bill. It was a hotter month with more need for AC, but looking at the daily use, I can see a definite and consistent increase starting the day we turned on the pump.

I've been running the pump for 12 hours per day but now that I have the levels stabalized, I think I can cut it back to 8 hours. That should help some, but I was wondering what others see in terms of electricity impact from pool equipment. Is this normal?
    21,000K IG Vinyl Free Form, 1.5 HP Pump, Sta-Rite filter, 5 jets, 2 drains, SWG, 200K BTU gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First electricity bill

ours usually increases around $100 during the super hot Texas days when I have to run the pump normal; a two speed pump helps us during winter/non-swimming months when I don't have to run it as much or as long.
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you'll post the current ratings from the plate on the pump motor (or the model number) and the KWH rate for your utility, somebody can estimate your hourly cost of operation.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

$50 bucks more a month at 10-12 hours per day. Still not bad in my opinion considering the awesomeness of having a pool. Is awesomeness a word?
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

5. Back To Top    #5

I run my 1hp single speed pump about 12 hours a day, and have results similar to yours ($50 - $75 more). I'm going to go to a 3/4 hp two speed pump to try to defray that cost. From what I've read, running a two speed pump on low for circulation/filtering and on high for vacuuming really helps, as the low speed consumes much less energy, even if you have to run it longer to get the proper water filtration. I don't have any water features, so I'd only run it on high for vacuuming the pool.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, we had the same problem. Had our pool installed end of May and was in shock at our electric bill. I figured our bill, based on our pump info and kw charge, at 10 hours/day (or was it 12?) and it will run us $75/mo extra (ouch!). Ours is the 1 HP Pentair Dynamo single-speed. So we're going to get the 1 HP Pentair Dynamo 2-speed and run it on low 24/7, except for vacuuming and backwashing (and we won't have to backwash very often at all with our zeolite sand filter and using a skimmer sock)...and it will only run us $36/mo.

So we'll be going from $75/mo (for 10-12/day) to $36/mo (for 24/7)! I feel better about that - because TEXAS GETS HOT!
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

7. Back To Top    #7

Just be thankful you aren't living in California where the tier 3 rate (> 36 KWh per day) for electricity is 30 cents per kilowatt-hour (or 22 cents per kilowatt-hour above 23 KWh per day). My incremental electric bill for the pool used to be $1400 per year until I got a Pentair IntelliFlo variable flow pump where my incremental electric bill is now $700 per year.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL, if we lived in California, we wouldn't be able to afford having a pool put in...let alone being able to maintain it! Currently, we're with Cirro Energy, which is out of Plano, Texas. They just raised their rates from 12.70 kwh to 15 kwh. We basically have a flat rate. But I don't expect it to stay that way. I can't wait until we get the better pump/motor (then, I can go find the forum to learn the right way to install it!) And I get my TF-100 kit tomorrow...YEA!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Just be thankful you aren't living in California where the tier 3 rate (> 36 KWh per day) for electricity is 30 cents per kilowatt-hour (or 22 cents per kilowatt-hour above 23 KWh per day). My incremental electric bill for the pool used to be $1400 per year until I got a Pentair IntelliFlo variable flow pump where my incremental electric bill is now $700 per year.

I am so glad I read this post. My PB recommends a Pentair single speed pump, but I am gooing to upgrade to the IntelliFlo. It seems like it will pay for itself.

Thanks for posting this!
    4th Year Pool owner in Sinking Spring PA
    46'x23' Free Form Concrete (34,000 gallons), Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen Finish, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair D.E. FNS Filter, Pentair MasterTemp heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie
    LOL, if we lived in California, we wouldn't be able to afford having a pool put in...let alone being able to maintain it! Currently, we're with Cirro Energy, which is out of Plano, Texas. They just raised their rates from 12.70 kwh to 15 kwh. We basically have a flat rate. But I don't expect it to stay that way. I can't wait until we get the better pump/motor (then, I can go find the forum to learn the right way to install it!) And I get my TF-100 kit tomorrow...YEA!
    not to thread jack, but ****, we're with Cirro too...we never got any notice about the raising rate! Looks like I'll be switching, de-regulation in Texas has killed us...I'll be looking at a 'fixed plan' I'd rather pay a little more in the spring and fall just to pay the same each month! Reliant and TXU will be getting a call from me soon!

Good look with the power bills!
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by primetime
    I am so glad I read this post. My PB recommends a Pentair single speed pump, but I am gooing to upgrade to the IntelliFlo. It seems like it will pay for itself.

Thanks for posting this!
    You could also consider a 2-speed pump if you're on a tight budget. Depending on your setup and proper sizing of the pump, you could get most of the same benefits. The nice thing about the IntelliFlo is that it can be tuned to the flow (or speed, depending on model) that you need. If I didn't have my solar system, I'd be saving more like 80% instead of "just" 50%.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

11.3 cents per kwh here in N. Texas
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

13. Back To Top    #13

WOW Searay! I'd like to know who you are using so I can switch to them. But perhaps we need to start a new thread on Electric Bill or something, so we can chitchat about this more....and return this thread to it's rightful owner!! I'll PM you shortly

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is fairly simple way to calculate cost to run pool motor in case anyone is interested. It will give a reasonably accurate estimate of cost to run pump.

formula:
    Cost = ((Volts x Amps)/1000) x Power Factor x Rate x Usage

Example:
    Cost to run typical 1.5 hp pump for 8 hours:
    Amps 10 - from motor nameplate. this is max amps motor will use.
    Power Factor .8 - This is not the same as service factor.
    I use .8 based on several measurments I have taken on pumps using amp meter.
    more info here. Your mileage may vary.
    Others on TFP might have different number
    Volts 230
    Rate 17 cents per kw - from electric bill

Show your work:
    230x10/1000 = 2.3 kw uncorrected x .8 = 1.8 kwatts consumed
    =1.8*.17 = $.3128 per hour x 8 hours = $2.50 per day to run pump
    17000 gal free form plaster pool with 900 gal spillover spa, shared 2 HP 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, solar and gas heater, 1 hp pump for water features, 1.5 hp pump for spa. Dolphin Diagnostics robotic cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

In Texas check www.powertochose.org for rate comparison. We are with StarTex who currently offer the lowest rates in our area.
    Pool completed in the fall of 2008.
    Landmark's pool build

Freeform 26' x 45' IG gunite, 4' to 8' deep, 29,500 gallons, WetEdge PearlMatrix Tropical Mystic, Freeform 8' X 11' Ultimate 16 jet spa, 38' moss rock weeping wall and 3 waterfalls,

4 pumps (Intelliflo 4X160 filter pump, WhisperFlo 3HP spa pump, Pentair 2 1/2HP WaterFall pump, cleaner booster), EasyTouch 8 controls, Quad DE 100 filter, MasterTemp 400K heater, Pentair Legend Platinum cleaner, 995 sqft. Sundek.

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm on an East Texas rural co-op. You use them or a generator, there is no other choice. So that said, how do we run the pump for least cost? (and ain't that the topic??? )
    Okay a two speed pump. I just replaced my one for all so I'm going to have to stick with that.

? how many hours a day is minimum for efficient maintenance of the pool?
    The wife and 3 kids play in it once a day say, and average of 3-4 days a week. I don't get in much.
    ETexas 24,000 Vinyl lined IG cartridge filter:(

17. Back To Top    #17

Here's the requested info about our pump and utility rates:

Pump: A.O. Smith. Model c48k2pa104c1. 115/230V (we are running at 230). 3450 max RPM. 14.8/7.4 max amperage.
    Utility rate: Prices are tiered based on peak/mid/low charge times and distribution/transmission/transition/generation fees, but it looks like the avg sum of all that would be around 10.5 cents per KWH.
    21,000K IG Vinyl Free Form, 1.5 HP Pump, Sta-Rite filter, 5 jets, 2 drains, SWG, 200K BTU gas heater

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee
    I'm on an East Texas rural co-op. You use them or a generator, there is no other choice. So that said, how do we run the pump for least cost? (and ain't that the topic??? )
    Okay a two speed pump. I just replaced my one for all so I'm going to have to stick with that.

? how many hours a day is minimum for efficient maintenance of the pool?
    The wife and 3 kids play in it once a day say, and average of 3-4 days a week. I don't get in much.
    I'm on a co-op with no choice as well. However, their prices are lower than the other major providers in the area.

I run my pump about 8 hours a day, and we rough calculated that it cost us around $75 a month. My electric bill is averaging around $575 a month right now (AC and >100 degree days), so it's only a small percent.
    10K White Plaster Pool Built in 2007. Hayward Pump and DE Filter, Hayward Navigator, Liquidator (Removed due to issues), Solar Blanket, BBB user.

19. Back To Top    #19

Wow..$575 a month? And here I thought around $300 was outrageous..
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

20. Back To Top    #20

Yikes!

In Washington State I thought it was horrible that we have gone from $.06 per kilowatt to $.085 over the last several years and seen our bills climb.

I guess hydroelectric power really is cheaper. You guys are paying double of ours. Then again you get to use your pool year round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast