SWG Problem

Jun 18, 2013
Thursday of last week cleaned pool everything was looking good. Friday my wife had a few friends over and everything still fine. Woke up Saturday and the pool was green. Checked all levels and no FC. Added stabilizer and shocked pool that night. Also dropped in chlorine tablets in the skimmer to help. Pool has now cleared up but not totally clear yet but I do have signs of algae. When I checked the SWG the readings were good but no lights on the system. Everything seemed like it was running ok but I guess this was why I had no chlorine. Salt level was at 3300. Since the system seems to be working do we just need to replace the fuse? Anyone else had this problem. Thanks JB

Thursday of last week cleaned pool everything was looking good. Friday my wife had a few friends over and everything still fine. Woke up Saturday and the pool was green. Checked all levels and no FC. Added stabilizer and shocked pool that night. Also dropped in chlorine tablets in the skimmer to help. Pool has now cleared up but not totally clear yet but I do have signs of algae. When I checked the SWG the readings were good but no lights on the system. Everything seemed like it was running ok but I guess this was why I had no chlorine. Salt level was at 3300. Since the system seems to be working do we just need to replace the fuse? Anyone else had this problem. Thanks JB
Sorry, but I can't help with your SWG, but I can make a couple of comments based on your question. Our advice is generally not "shock" our pools like pools stores advise, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem.

It is generally a bad idea to place tabs in the skimmer as it can damage the plastic parts.

I see from previous posts that you have a recommended test kit, so please post test results. Even with a working SWG you will most likely have to SLAM the pool to kill off what ever reared it's ugly head when the FC went low.

Did you add the stabilizer based on the previous thread where you were trying to get your CYA up to 70? Remember, the tabs and shock (if granular) are also adding to your CYA, so be careful you don't overshoot your goal.

I see in your signature built in 2008, is that when the SWCG was installed? You may be at or near the end of the cell life. No lights may be an indication of unit inop. Are you able to check the fuse?
Another test would be to take a sample of the water coming out of the return and measure it's FC level compared to the rest of the pool it should be higher if the SWCG is working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.