pH too high?

Jul 16, 2008
SW Michigan
Okay, we have had our pool up for a few weeks and everything has been going great. I have noticed that my pH level keeps creeping up and am thinking I most likely need to do something about (add Muriatic Acid), but figure I would see what the experts think first...

Here are the results of my tests last night:
FC = 0 (we were on vacation this weekend, I thought I had dumped in enough bleach on Friday to last, but I guess not)
CC = 0
TC = 0
pH = 7.8
TA = 100
CH = 120
CYA ~ 20 (still working on getting that up)

My initial pH was 7.4, it has been slowly creeping up. My water is very clear and actually quite sparkly.

Just add enough muriatic acid to get it back down to 7.4. Mix it with water in a bucket then pour it around the edge of the pool with the pump running to avoid having the acid settle to the bottom. I'd start by adding 3oz., which is a little less than half what you'll probably need, and then checking after about 8 hours. Repeat as needed.

Unsolicited advice.......keep your chlorine up in your pool....at least 2-3ppm....never lower.

You are begging for an algae bloom and it will consume 10 times as much chlorine once it gets started.

Bringing your CYA up around 40 or so will help greatly with your chlorine issue.

Your low chlorine is more important than your high pH but both need correction.

JohnT - I will pick up some acid tonight at Menards and give that a try.

duraleigh - point taken! I have been struggling to keep the Chlorine up since I am still trying ot get my CYA levels up (it seems to be taking forever!). The main reason for my low level this time though, was a miscalculation on my part. I thought I had added enough bleach on Friday to last until we got back from our camping trip on Sunday... :(

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.