New pool owner (previously neglected pool) - piping question

Hi Guys, we don't need to get into that. I understand both points, and as I do have small children, I like to put safety in place first - although they are pretty good with not messing with stuff they don't know, one can never be 100% certain.

As of now, I might just go with the shut off valve on the main drain for safety and for monetary reasons (a ball valve is about $12 where a 3-way is about 4 times that) since I already have ball valves. As I learn more about pool plumbing I will make adjustments - I don't mind working with pipes, it's kind of fun. This is the first time ever I dealt with plumbing at all. I have always rented, so there was always someone taking care of issues for me.

Going back to my pressure issue, it's resolved. I first checked the impeller, by hand, and found nothing. I opened the filter, and there it was. The cartridge was totally green from the algae. There was this thick layer of green and dirty - I guess the water clarifier made it worse. I washed it well, but could not get all the green out of it. Put the cartridge back in place, started up, and the pressure is back.

I'm going to clean it up again today to try to get more of that green stuff out. Should I use a product to clear the filter cartridge when it's like this? Hopefully it won't get like this again.

By doing this, I also noticed that my pressure gauge is not working. Could it be clogged as well? Now I'm not 100% sure whether or not it was working before. Since the plastic cover is cracked from shipping, I wonder if something else has happened to it.

Thank you all for your help so far. Really great people here. I'm have I joined in :)

Remove the gauge and turn in the pump. Water should shoot out to confirm there is not a clog.

Does the pool have 1 or 2 drains on the floor? If 2 like current code, the entrapment is not an issue. Additionally, ball valves have a limited life as they stiffen up and eventually break, not true with pool valves.

If I remove the gauge and turn on the pump, how will I know that the gauge is clogged? I know the filter/pump is not clogged because when I start the pump, as per manufacturer instructions, I leave the vent valve off on the filter until water comes out.

The pool only has 1 drain on the floor, the skimmer and 3 jets. Hmmm. Can I find pool valves at Lowe's or Homedepot?

Thanks again!

I just recently installed the Jandy Never-Lubes for my isolation valves and they are great. They are quite a bit larger than the cheap PVC. Once you get them in your hands you will see why they cost $30-40. And they have a lifetime gurantee, and 1 valve fits 2 sizes. They also have a locking feature so once you find that right balance you can lock the handle into place so it doesn't walk out of adjustment on you. AND if that wasn't enough, if you decide you want to automate they are easily fitted with Jandy actuators. What more could you ask for.

And definitely change out the DWV fittings you installed. Easy enough of a mistake, but the big difference is the area of the glue collar. Pressure rated PVC has at least twice as much surface area for gluing interface plus it doesn't have the foam core you usually find on the DWV fittings. If you want sweep fittings (I did all of my plumbing with sweeps and manifold wyes) you can find them on the internet and at specialty plumbing supply houses in your area. Be aware some may not sell to you unless you have a contractor license. Run a search for "flex pvc" and you find the place I ordered mine from. Just make sure you are ordering SCH40/80 and not DWV.

Hi guys, thanks all for the feedback. I have updated my setup, adding sch 40 fittings, and a 3-way valve. I will post pictures later.

Now, at home depot they told me to use Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue, and the instructions states that for full joint strength it takes 24 hours depending upon temperature and humidity. My question is, living in South Florida, about 98-100 F outside, do I really need to wait 24 hours before I can turn on my pump? On my previous setup, I had used a different type of pipe cement (purple with a primer) and it only took 2 hours to cure.

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.