Rain doesn't usually have much effect. In a few rare cases rain can change the PH a bit, but that is not common. Extreme amounts of rain that cause the pool to overflow will lower some levels, most importantly salt and CYA, but again that is fairly uncommon.

You should backwash each time the filter pressure goes up %25 from the clean filter pressure.

There are no such thing as dumb questions. We all needed to learn these things at some point.

Does rain water have a lot of affect on the PH or chlorine levels? Also, how often should i backwash my pool water? Sorry if these are dumb questions, complete newbie here. :/
Rain has minimal effect, unless its a monsoon that replaces huge amounts of your pool water. The main reason chlorine is reported to go down in the rain is that folks don;t like to get wet and test/add chlorine when it is raining.

Only backwash when your pressure goes up, showing a reduced flow of water through the filter. You need to get a feel for your pool and where your clean pressure lies. For mine, 10psi is a clean filter, 11psi is when I add DE to polish and I generally backwash at 15 - 16, which many say is too soon. I have a very large sand filter, so unless I get womething int he water it takes a long tome for the pressure to rise much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.