Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staying Ahead of Algae/Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Staying Ahead of Algae/Cloudy Water

Hi Everyone,

Background: Inground, Vinyl, 23,000 gallons, FC 9, PH 7.2, CYA 80, Alk 100, Hardness 200
    I use liquid chlorine to shock & 3"puck in 2 skimmers with pool pump running 7 x 24

Currently Shocking as FC was 0 yesterday AM
    No FC so I added 3 pucks (2 skimmers & 1 floater).
    Fri 12:00 - FC is 0.0. So I shock with 1 gallon Liq CL
    Fri 14:00 - FC is 5.0. I then added 2 more gallons Liq CL
    Fri 16:00 - FC is 17.5
    Fri 20:00 - FC 14.5. I then added 1 more gallons Liq CL
    Sa 07:00 - FC 14.5 / PH 7.4
    Sa 08:30 - Added 2 lbs of (calcium hypo left over from last year)

It seems that every few days algae comes back after I shock with liqud CL and the pucks can't keep the basic FC level between shocks.

Do I go to a daily Liquid CL regiment and stop using 3" pucks? If so what amount?
    Or maybe I just have never offically killed the algae beast?

KK
    Kenbob
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Staying Ahead of Algae/Cloudy Water

Your CYA level is already 80, so shocking requires raising the FC level to 21. If you keep using pucks the CYA level will continue to go up and you will need even more chlorine to fight algae.

You were really only close to shock level one night. You need to raise the FC level up to 21 more frequently so you don't give the algae time to grow, which it will do at lower FC levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I try to limit the 3" pucks to prevent CYA buildup. Should I just use liquid CL or another chlorine source and stay away from (dichloro & trichlor) completely? What is a good daily CL product?
    Kenbob
    inground, 23,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter, 2 speed Whisperflo 1.5 HP, gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kenbob57
    Thanks for the reply. I try to limit the 3" pucks to prevent CYA buildup. Should I just use liquid CL or another chlorine source and stay away from (dichloro & trichlor) completely? What is a good daily CL product?
    Pool School should answer most of your questions.....category/pool-school/
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kenbob57
    Wal-mart brand ultra bleach,the unscented 6% kind.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com