How to winterize an IG pool in the SW?

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Is there a post out there with details for winterizing a South-Southwest locale pool?

We in the warmer climates are admittedly blessed to not have nasty freezing winters like those of you in the East and North. Last year I didn't do a darn thing to the pool over the non-swimming winter months except turn the SWG on real low (4 hours of runtime every other day and only 20% on the SWG) and just added acid to keep the pH below 7.8 when I would remember to actually check it. My Pentair system has anti-freeze automation which auto-magically runs all pumps on low speed when the air temp drops below 36F and the IC40 SWG has it's own cold water shutoff protection feature.

Thinking ahead, I'd actually like to have a more rational plan and I would love to hear some advice from the experts.

Perhaps the TFP Admin gods could bless us thin-blooded types with our very own sticky post for future reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of us bother to close...just like you :) Why would you want to? Then you'd be looking at an ugly cover all winter.

Love the "Eye of Mordor" avatar!!

Yeah, I hear you on that point. As well, I have an attached spa that I do like to use well into the cold winter months so it's not like I could truly close the pool entirely. I guess I was thinking along the lines of not having to run the pool pumps at all except for the spa and so, if there is a good way to ensure the water stays sanitized without needing to waste the electricity on pumps and SWGs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.