Low Filter PSI after Variable Speed Pump Installed

sjc

Feb 26, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hello All,

I just replaced my old 1.5 HP Hayward Super pump with a Pentair VS 11018, with the old Hayward the DE filter would show a PSI of around 10 to 15 and now with the Pentair I need to run the pump at 2400 RPM to get that same 10 PSI, which does not save much money. I have read that these VS pumps should be able to run around 1300 RPM and when I set mine to that the filter reports 0 PSI.

I am not sure if this is normal, the plumbing is PVC 1.5” except for the return which is old copper pipe around 1” to 1.25”. The flow appears ok at 1300 RPM but I am not sure if it is filtering properly as I get Algae buildup during hot days. What is the best way to calibrate that I am getting the proper turn over. I have a fairly large very old pool – 15ft wide x 35 ft long and 10 ft deep in the deepest to around 4 ft in the shallow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

That is all very normal. You need to run around 2400 RPM when adding DE to the filter and when using a manual vacuum, but otherwise running around 1300 RPM is just fine. The filter will read a low pressure, and that is just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.