Anyone know the outer fitting size for the Hayward widemouth skimmer?

May 24, 2013
Evening all, just going through the plumbing I need to do and I notice the Hayward skimmer has a 1-1/2" NPT internal thread, but it also has an external thread for use with some sort of union adapter. Does anyone know that size???

Basically I want as much flow from the pool to the equipment, so I am putting in 2" PVC and using 2" PVC at the equipment pad as much as possible (the only "neck down" is the inlet to the pump which I am stuck with 1-1/2" internal thread NPT, but from there it will be at least 1-1/2" buttress, or 1-1/2" Sta-Rite union or 2" PVC or CPVC). The filter uses the larger 1-1/2" Sta-Rite PVC fittings, the heater uses 2" CPVC connections and I just plan on using as large of a set of connections as possible everywhere. Especially on the "supply" side being the skimmer I figure the bigger the better, and using a NPT adapter will just loose that much more over using the larger union connection.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it is being overly worried, but hey, it all comes down to the sum of the parts. You don't build 750-1000hp motors by just slapping things together, you worry about the smallest details. This is no different. Ok, it is a *little* different, but the same ideals apply. Best flow with least restrictions. You are stuck with certain "necessary" evils (such as using 90 degree hard bends vs sweeps for tight plumbing), but most things can be though through and designed to maximize certain aspects to really improve overall performance (such as going with 2" plumbing vs 1-1/2" to make up for such "evils" as much as possible).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.