Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Public pools- Yeah!

1. Back To Top    #1

Public pools- Yeah!

So I took my family to Hersheypark last week. (GREAT park BTW- we go there a lot and love it)

My youngest wanted to get in the kids wave pool, so we head that way. I've been reading this and the other site for awhile so I am already a little creeped out by public pools. Anyway, we get there and at the entrance is a sign stating that one of their younger guests didn't make it to the bathroom in time. You guessed it- a little baby ruth.

Anyway, my questions pertains to sanitation. The sign stated that the public health codes dictate that they close the pool for an hour for cleaning and sanitation. What FC residual would you need to sanitize such an event in only an hour? Or is there some other way to sanitize such a large body of water? I was wondering if they used ozone or something similar. But it is a fairly large pool and using Cl, you could boost the levels pretty high, but they wouldn't come back down in only an hour.
    So what protocol might they be following?
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Public pools- Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by wmshay6
    So I took my family to Hersheypark last week. (GREAT park BTW- we go there a lot and love it)

My youngest wanted to get in the kids wave pool, so we head that way. I've been reading this and the other site for awhile so I am already a little creeped out by public pools. Anyway, we get there and at the entrance is a sign stating that one of their younger guests didn't make it to the bathroom in time. You guessed it- a little baby ruth.

Anyway, my questions pertains to sanitation. The sign stated that the public health codes dictate that they close the pool for an hour for cleaning and sanitation. What FC residual would you need to sanitize such an event in only an hour? Or is there some other way to sanitize such a large body of water? I was wondering if they used ozone or something similar. But it is a fairly large pool and using Cl, you could boost the levels pretty high, but they wouldn't come back down in only an hour.
    So what protocol might they be following?
    for a formed stool only slightly elevated chlorine levels are needed. It's when there is loose stools that prolonged shocking at high chlorine levels is needed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Public pools- Yeah!

Most guidelines require a minimum of 2 ppm FC for 25 minutes for formed stool.
    Liquid stool is 20 ppm FC for 8 hrs, or the equivalent. ie 40 ppm for 4 hrs, or 80 ppm for 2 hrs.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com