Question about supplementing a sand filter

Something along those lines is great for saving energy, but isn't likely to improve you filtering (unless your current filter is actually broken). Even a slightly undersized sand filter is more than enough for any pool. Nearly everyone who thinks they need more filtering actually has a water chemistry problem.

Currently in the middle of a SLAM and have been dealing with almost no improvement to cloudiness for over 10 days now. Sand filter just doesn't seem to be able to catch the particles even with a cellulose/DE additive.

The whole thing is documented in this thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/78495-10-years-into-it-and-just-now-trying-TFP-Method-to-fix-the-swamp

Right now whatever is in the water just seems to pass straight through the sand filter and go back into the pool which is why I am considering trying a kitbashed together cartridge system to get whatever this is out of the pool.

Only losing 1ppm FC overnight so I doubt that there is very much left in the way of live organics still in the pool.

The filter might be channeled. Try doing a deep cleaning of your filter.

I just did that a little over three weeks ago before starting the SLAM. No signs of channeling at the time.

However this morning I added just a bit more cellulose to the filter than the directions on the package called for and (*surprise*) about an hour ago saw a huge spike of 12psi. :)

So after backwashing, I went ahead and added the same amount again as I did this morning to see if it continues to improve the performance.

(Crossing fingers)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.