Introduction

hende

Jul 2, 2014
NE Ohio
I’m a reluctant pool owner who moved into a house with a pool 4 years ago (I doubt I would have ever installed a pool). These past few years I’d been willing to pay a pool company for the heavy maintenance of my pool but after going through 3 different companies and having problems with service and timeliness, I decided to start doing it on my own. I have read a number of the guides on this site, so I wanted to create an account and introduce myself.

Two weeks ago I had a new liner installed (and found a crease last weekend – ugh) and filled the pool with new water, so I’m starting fresh this year. My TF-100 test kit is due to arrive today so I can retire the test strips I’ve been using, and I went through a pool company for my starting chemicals to balance the fresh water but now I’m looking at doing the BBB method.

I hope to have no problems with my pool this year that would require posting to this site but that’s doubtful. I’m in NE Ohio so pool season at best is Memorial Day – Labor Day (no heater) so I only have a couple more months to go. Wish me luck.

Welcome. I just registered recently and the folks on here have been a tremendous help. After they PROVED the pool stores didn't know what they were doing, I had to take control myself. It gives you a great feeling of satisfaction to know you CAN do it. I just got my pool to the best state it has been in for over 3 years thanks to this site. Now I'm starting the maintenance phase and feel confident I'm going to keep the pool in good shape going forward.

Make sure to log your test results. It really helps others learn by reading each owners story and how they correct any issues that are found.

Welcome! Keep all your posts questions in this thread, it's helpful for those who will be helping you.

Once you get your kit, post up your first results and we'll help walk you though. Also post what the pool company added to your fresh water, especially stabilizer which can take a week to show up on the tests.
Read Pool School a couple times. It will make more sense the more you read it.
Try out Pool Math, enter all your info and see what adding chemicals will do.

You can do this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.