How to deal with getting algae from bottom of swampy pool

Jun 30, 2014
Waco, TX
Hey, everybody! I'm new here, but not entirely new to pool ownership. We "inherited" a pool when we bought our new home in 2008. I've learned a lot, but have myself in a new pickle. Our pump went down at the end of last year, and I allowed the pool to go "swampy." I have fixed the pump and am dealing with the process of clearing the water. As you can imagine, there were a ton of leaves at the bottom of the pool. I've largely dipped those out and throw a fair amount of shock in. The water on top is now cloudy, but I know what lies at the bottom is sludgy algae.

My issue is that I hate to vacuum all of that through the filter and into waste, as I can see how nasty it is. I can dip it and stir it up, making the water ugly again, but as you all know, the algae doesn't really dip out. What's the best way for me to handle this? Should I go ahead and vacuum it all to waste? I'd love to get some expert tips here.

FYI...this is an old fiberglass pool, built in 1969 (10 years before my birth...geez) and holds approximately 20,000 gallons of water.

Thanks so much!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you vacuum to waste, then the sludge will not go through the filter. You are right that you need to get all that removed, but I am concerned over your chemical plans.

To clear up the pool you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do that correctly, you need one of the Recommended Test Kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

You mention of "throwing shock in" has me worried as it could be raising your stabilizer {CYA} level to a level where trying to clear the pool will be near impossible due to the high FC levels required. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Did you discover Pool School? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

As far as testing the water goes, I haven't done that yet, due to just feeling like I was nowhere near ready to see if chemicals were balanced. My local, very well thought of pool supplier, is who suggested I throw in up to 25lbs of shock initially. No acid, they said. They also give me a container to fill with water and they will test as frequently as I bring it in.

In fairness to them, they also told me to get everything vacuumed off the bottom before shocking, but I couldn't take the nasty stench of the water and preferred to throw away some money in shock to make it a more bearable work environment.

Am I going about this entirely the wrong way?

We never recommend blindly adding chemicals. All adjustments are based on accurate tests ... and realize that pool store testing is NOT accurate.

If you CYA was in range or high and you added 25lbs of dichlor (is that the "shock" they suggested?), then you your CYA would be WAY too high and the only way to lower it is by replacing water. IF you have to replace water, why waste money on treating the water you currently have?

Always test first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.