Ashtabula, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
I think this qualifies for the deep end? 8 days ago I realized I was "pool stored." 4 day slam, think I could have done it in two, check and re-FC'd every 2 hours. Didn't think to check the ladder! That fixed it.

Found a source for 10% bleach and 31.45% MA. Tore out the puck chlorinator. Tore out the Delta UV. Installed a Stenner pump and tank (it's on tonight for the first time) and tapped a return elbow. Put it on a timer.

Was able to lower TA by adding acid every 12 hours and constant aeration. Started at 140 after SLAM was done...80 tonight. Seems I can lower it with MA/aeration 10 every 12 hours.

Got 110 lbs of Granular Boric Acid from DUDA (looks like I need about 70 lbs).

TA 7.4. Added enough MA to get back to 7.0 pH this evening. By morning my numbers *should* look like this:
FC 7.5
pH 7.4
TA 60-70
CH 375
CYA 50 (tests out about 42, but been using 50)

If I get to TA 60-70, am I ready to Borate? Any special instructions people have found useful? Any particular numbers I should make sure I'm at before Borating?

Yes, I have read about every thread/TFP article on Borate I can find!

Thanks for the help!

You have not told us why you want to use Borates? If its because of Ph stability, you could be better serve installing a second stenner for MA. What is your TA of your fill water?

My TA was 90 when I added borates. Had to add MA only once after that and my TA now is at 70. My pH have been unbelievable stable.

I did not notice any other difference after adding borates, but maybe that is because it was a fresh fill (my tap water surprisingly good).

You have not told us why you want to use Borates? If its because of Ph stability, you could be better serve installing a second stenner for MA. What is your TA of your fill water?
1) more stable pH
2) Algaestatic properties
3) reduced chlorine usage
4) silkier feeling water--less skin and eye irritation
5) clearer, 'sparkling' water

Fill TA 90-100.

1) more stable pH
2) Algaestatic properties
3) reduced chlorine usage
4) silkier feeling water--less skin and eye irritation
5) clearer, 'sparkling' water

Fill TA 90-100.
1 - Yes it does that
2 - chlorine alone should be enough
3 - Borates do not change the chlorine consumption
4 and 5 are a little subjective in my opinion

Are you saying that I don't understand my pool enough, and I should get everything in target range (FC, TA, pH) and see how my pH reacts before I decide to borate? I already have the Boric Acid ready. Do you think it will screw with my pool to add it and see what happens? Should I have my pool at 7.6-7.8 pH (recommended TFP levels) before I add the borates?

Now I'm confused. So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How Creator of PoolMath JasonLion says it does. Any good citations you have to clear the question up?
Ok. I see your point. The vast majority of chlorine is either decomposed by UV or used removing leftovers from bathers. A tiny amount will remove any algae that somehow got to your pool. There are people with chronic algae problems where the algaecide affect of borates can reduce chlorine usage, my I believe most people with chronic algae problems are algae hiding somewhere in the pool.

For a better picture you should read Borates - Why and How

Going back to your original question. You should be good to add boric acid.

Regarding Tivo’s question. You should now why you are doing something that is either not recommended or deemed optional and you should fully understand the effects, specially the bad ones (like borates making water inappropriate for drinking). As long as you are fine with the consequences and/or have a plan to deal with then you should be fine.

Im 3 years into my pool with a fill TA of 140 and have a stenner setup for MA. It adds 2 times a week 14%MA@300ml. Its so hands off that i can almost laugh. My TA as of today is 70-80. The 5 gallon tank takes almost 6-8 months to refill. I dont use Borates because of my pets. They drink out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.