initial chemical setup?

Jun 29, 2014
illinois
We have a 24' diameter by 4' on the outside 4.5-5' in the center above ground pool. Approx. 13,500 gallons. I have no idea where to start on adding chemicals. The pool is filled and I tested the levels and got:
Chlorine - 0
Alkalinity - 240
Ph - 7.5

Where do I go from here on adding chemicals? The pool came with the house we are renting and I have never owned a pool in my life besides a little plastic baby pool so ANY input would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :) im clueless and overwhelmed by all the info on here

Welcome to the forum. Without any cya test results-----you should add enough bleach to bring your FC to 3 to 4, and expect to lose all that on a sunny day with no cya-replenish daily. Ph is fine. Alkalinity should be gradually cut in half at least over time. Consider ordering one of our recommended test kits to control your pool and make life easy. If a fresh fill, you should add enough cya to bring that level to 30 to start to protect FC. See the chlorine/cya chart in pool school and read ABC's article.

Welcome! :wave:

If that's a fresh fill with tap water, you're in great shape -- nobody's messed with it!

You will need some stabilizer since tap water has none and it doesn't occur in nature. You will need some chlorine. Until the stabilizer dissolves, whatever bleach you add will disappear within hours. So you'll need to keep adding bleach, probably twice a day, until you get some sun protection.

So... for the time being, raise FC to 3. Poolmath says that will be about half of a 121 oz jug of 8.25% Clorox.
Conveniently, one 4 lb canister of stabilizer will raise the CYA level to 36.

To learn how I figured this up.... these Pool School articles should help:
ABCs of pool chemistry so you are speaking the language
Recommended Pool Chemicals What to add and how
How to use pool math How much to add

We cannot express enough how vitally important your own test kit is. The recommended test kits are described here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.