first test reading

Jun 29, 2013
Bethlehem, pa
So, I know my levels and will share them. I know what I need to add. But as a precaution, I wanted to post here for a little hand holding and TLC.

Keep in mind, this is a fresh fill.

FC = .23 I know I need about a quart and a half of bleach. Nothing to worry about here.
ph = 7.2 I know this is where it needs to be but it will fluctuate once I add the other chemicals. I don't quote understand the relationship. So, I will re-test once complete and tackle this separately.

CH = 14ppm I need about 6 gallons or 63 lbs of calcium chloride. From what i'm reading this "ice-melt" or deicer. Does this get added to the skimmer or the pool? This is a lot of ice melt so I want to be sure I'm enough but don't want to over saturate.

TA = 18.2 = I need 21 lbs of baking soda. Again, does this get added to skimmer or all around the pool or in front of the returns.

CYA = 6 ppm - i know I need 12 lbs or a gallon and a half to reach desired levels. I know I should do this first and can continue to add in the other chemicals simultaneously. However, I can't find the granular stabilizer (without dichlor in the store) to use the sock by the skimmer method. Should I resort to the liquid and pour in the skimmer?

If I'm correct, I should start with cya, then add my chlorine, then ch, and ta. Does that sound right?

Thanks for your patience with me!

Where did those readings come from?

I find them suspicious. There should be zero CYA in tap water. And what tester reads that precisely? Unless you added something or there was some residual water in the pool, you do not have 6 ppm CYA. And if that reading is wrong, how do you know the others aren't wrong as well?

Ok- I re-tested with my kit.

I got

ta = 20
ch = 140
fc = 0
cya = 0 --- the black dot never went away. so i'm assuming its at 0.

to raise fc i will need 166 oz or 1 gallon of 6% bleach
to raise ta i will need 24 lbs of baking soda
to raise my ch i will need 3 gallons or 30 lbs of calcium chloride
to raise my cya i will need 107 oz by weight or 111 fluid oz of stabilizer.

Now that I have more accurate numbers, should I proceed with cya, fc, ta, then ch? In that order.

Then focusing on leveling off the ph when complete?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.