Installing River Rock

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Hi, we just got a new pool installed in place of the old one. We have 2 ft of soil dug up round the outside, round the outside, round the outside, just a couple inches deep most of the way around. I want to lay river rock but I can't really find any good instructions. For example, how deep does the tench need to be? We also have part of the pool where the ground is higher, so the trench is much deeper. Should I build a retaining wall there? Do I lay the same amount of rock in those areas? Any other steps that may be involved? How does is actually keep the water away from the pool? Thanks!

Our pool installation completed in October 2012. During the summer of 2013, my wife and I put down 20 cubic yards of river rock around our pool area. Here is a picture taken during the time we were putting down river rock:

The following picture was taken during the evening. But, wherever you can see bare dirt it is now covered with river rock.

We got a 50/50 mix of 1-2" rocks and 3-6" rocks. For the most part, the concrete was 2-3" higher than the bare ground. We put down lots of weedkiller, pulled every weed we could find, and then raked it as smooth as we could. We put down landscape fabric and then covered with river rock up to about even with the concrete. This spring I noticed that the smaller river rocks had settled a bit. We are putting down some river rock elsewhere in our yard this year (another 10 cubic yards) and will fill in some the areas that have settled.

A few pics of ur place might be helpful. I assume the landscape has been graded to keep runoff out of ur pool. If so just a matter of hard labor in placing the rock. Tiering prob not necessary unless u plan on walking, sitting or landscaping w plants in these areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.