Advanced Search limits?

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I was just trying to use a search to find the threads I have posts in and know I saw some in the "New Posts" list that were not in the search result. Then I saw this at the top:
"Search took 0.45 seconds; generated 37 minute(s) ago. "

Is there a limit to how often I can do an advanced search?

I just went in and hit the search button again and it changed from 29 minutes to 37 minutes and did not update the results.

Seems like I was doing the same thing in the last week without seeing this behavior.

I believe the search index is processed periodically to reduce server load. I've been on some forums where it's once a day, so you can't look for same day posts.

It is not that it is not seeing posts from today, it is not updating the search results at all. Now it is up to 59 minutes.

I guess I would have though that it would say it has run my search, but it may not show the most recent results. Just seems like it is not even trying to search right now.

I swear yesterday I was doing the same search and could hit the refresh button every few minutes and get updated results.

If you do the same search it just uses the results from the previous time you did the search. The index does not update very often, as already mentioned, so identical searches almost always have the exact same result each time.

Hmmm. Well the idea was that I could search for posts with my name and show them in thread view (this is like the very nice Tapatalk Participated view).

But you are saying, that I can not just go in and hit the search button again and have any new threads I have posted in show up. Because it is the same search?

Well, I just went in and did it again now got a new results ... so maybe I can only do that every 90 minutes or something?

I was just trying to use a search to find the threads I have posts in .....

Wondering if you were aware that that search function already exists as a menu item. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if you go to "My Subscriptions" or "Subscribed Threads" (click on the Forum tab and then the Quick Links tab and then pull down to Subscribed Threads, that will show you all the Topics you've participated in, and will list them in order of the topic with the most resent posting and ones that have been updated with a new post will be in BOLD.

From what I can see, the updates to Subscribed Threads is pretty current.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.