Is my filter working properly?

tschutz1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2013
I have a cartridge filter. I've noticed that it seems that every time I vacuum my pool, I think I have it all clean and then the next morning it seems like it I never cleaned it. We've had a lot of cottonwood, and I spent some time this weekend taking the cartridge out and getting a lot of gunk out of it. I was thinking that might be the problem giving the heaviness of the cottonwood. But this Monday, same thing.

Maybe my kids are just really dirty!

It has also rained a lot here lately. Would that necessarily make the pool dirty?

So I don't know what it going on. It seems like I'm sucking the stuff up in the vacuum and just depositing it back into the pool where it settles into the tiny crevices in the pool liner.

Do I need a new cartridge? The one I have isn't even a year old.

I've also noticed that the air pressure release valve is acting funny....last year, it would shoot out water if you opened it up. Now the water barely trickles out. Another reason I think something with my filter isn't working quite right.

Your filter is probably working fine. A good way to double check is to tie a stocking over one of the return jets and see what (if anything) collects there. If the stocking remains clean, the filter is fine. If debris accumulates, then something is wrong with the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.