Is my Hayward heater supposed to be this noisy?

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
We love the new Hayward H100ID1 natural-gas heater, but it seems to make a lot of noise, and after about two weeks it hasn't gone away. I can't tell if it sounds more like a whiny, squeaky fan bearing or if it's associated with the boiler/burner process, but it doesn't sound right. Should I be worried about this or does everyone's heater sound like this and I should just live with it?

If it's a whining sound, then you have water flow issues. Not enough water is going through the heater. Make sure you have good water flow through the unit and into the pool. If it sounds like a banging or gravel sound, then it's a broken bypass in the heater.

If this unit is band new, call and get a service tech out to look at it since it is under warranty.

If it's a whining sound, then you have water flow issues. Not enough water is going through the heater. Make sure you have good water flow through the unit and into the pool. If it sounds like a banging or gravel sound, then it's a broken bypass in the heater.

If this unit is band new, call and get a service tech out to look at it since it is under warranty.

I have a 3,000 gal/hr pump completely diverted through the heater. Low flow doesn't seem likely to me. This was a DIY install, purchased through eBay.

Definitely a high-pitched whine, somewhere between a mechanical sound and a sort-of venturi-like whistling sound. When it first starts up, you can hear the blower (I assume it's a blower) and the combustion sounds, and then it just escalates from there, leaving me not sure what the source is. And it does come and go, like danpik said. I guess I'll try paying particular attention to my pressure and water flow, as right now my D.E. filter probably needs a good flushing and I'm bumping it practically every day. It's been a very debris-filled May and June!

Well, I believe I have to give the early nod to ps0303. I did some extensive monitoring of my filter, which needs a good flushing, and the heater, and I think he might be right -- although, for a device rated at 20-70 GPH, I find it hard to believe my filter is falling below that very often. Anyway, I will get the filter flushed and maintain good flow for a while and hope that solves the problem.

Now if I could just get it to stop raining so that I can get all of this work done!

Final update: I broke down and flushed the filter and recharged with Fiber Clear, and although it seems like the pump/filter is running at about the same pressure as before, the flow is holding consistently and the heater has not made any screeching/squealing noises all day. Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.