New pool owner with questions

Hey everyone. My name is Jerry and i just finished getting a pool replastered and retiled this week. I have zero pool experience and got this pool along with the house back on December of last year, but I am very excited to learn the ins and outs.

A pool cleaning service had come out twice and will be back next week and I have been watching them to see what they are doing to try and learn but I forgot to ask them one question and I was hoping to get some help :)

There are two flip switches by the pool pump, one is on and one is off. The pump is suppose to run 24 hours a day until they finish their cleaning, but I am just curious what the second switch is for. It is a small motor looking pump that feeds something into the main line going back to the pool. I will include a picture. This is a chlorine pool. Thanks for the help in advance and I am sure I'll have more questions down the road :)

pump.jpgpump2.jpgpool2.jpgpool.jpg

Welcome Jones! Nice pool you got there. I can't help with the switches but I will tell you that I wouldn't take everything you hear from the pool place as gold. I would however listen to their start up as you don't want to mess up the new plaster. You will need to brush the pool twice a day and keep the pH at 7.2 as it is going to rise and continue to rise for up to a year as that is completely normal for new plasters.

You need a good test kit. We recommend the TF100 as you get more reagents than the K2006 but you can read about both here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison. They are only ordered online. It is your number 1 tool in your pool tool box as you will use it everyday.

I would encourage you to read these educational links provided to you in Pool School:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
PoolMath

Your pictures are pretty indistinct but I imagine the two switches control your main pump and a booster pump. The booster is there to be used in conjunction with a pressure side auto-vac......have you found it yet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.