Wife can't wait!!!

Jun 16, 2014
Clinton, NC
Hello all, First time posting and I have a new pool. I have been reading through the forums on getting things started and trying to understand the chemicals that are needed to keep my pool sparkling clean. Upon filling my pool with well water, I decided to shock it and it turned a beautiful pale green, but was still just as clear as if I had put food coloring in the water!! I took a sample of water to the local pool store to have a comprehensive test done on it and discovered that I had a high level of iron. I purchased a product from the nice gentleman and within 20 minutes my water had cleared up, major problem solved! That made me feel better but I know that my water is yet to be balanced correctly. I've been reading about the chemicals and the TFP way and feel confident that I will be able to get things right, just have to get a good test kit! One question I have is this: What chemicals should not be placed in the pool at the same time or can you actually do that all at once without fear of causing a hazmat response from the local Fire Department?

My numbers on the test are:
FC-.28
TC-.38
CC-0.1
pH-6.7
TA-22
CYA-9
I believe I've got the numbers I need from the Calculator...just wondering if any of the experts have any additional tips or advice that would be helpful. Thanks for a wonderful and enlightening website.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How are you testing the water? Those definitely did not come from one of the Recommended Test Kits. So, I would not make any adjustments based on those numbers.

I would guess that your CYA is too low and you need to get that to 30-50ppm and continue to maintain adequate FC using liquid chlorine.

The water turning colors was due to metal in the water. Likely you may need to continue to use a sequestrant to prevent staining. See http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains

Definitely get the test kit ASAP so you can get accurate readings.

I would add at least 5 cups of bleach a night until the test kit arrives to keep the cooties and algae at bay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.