Intex pump sucked air, is it toast?

Jun 19, 2014
Redding/CA
I've got a Intex 2500 GPH pump. The pump didn't fit the pool so I draped the hoses over the side. My kid pulled the hose out and it sucked air for about 5-10 seconds before I could shut it off.

Did I toast the pump?

Thanks for any help.

Highly unlikely. I've had several instances with the same pump where I've done something improperly and the pump has gotten air or I've forgotten to open plunger valves etc and my pump is still performing just fine.

Whoops I read too fast, thought you had the 2650. Same answer though, I made the same mistakes with my original Intex cartridge pump and it still functioned (if you consider what their cartridge pumps do functioning) when I switched to the 2650 sand filter.

Last edited:
If you are just filling a catch basket at the pump, reprime from the hose in the pool, fill the entire suction hose up with garden hose or whatever. The pump may not be able to pull enough water over the top of the pool before it cavitates.

This is what you have in your pump. There is a relatively huge amount of space between the impeller and the housing, and will not prime on it's own. You have to fill the intake hose completely for the pump to work.

I've tried priming it over and over...basket, motor, and hose included. Just like I did when I got it going for the first time. It was no problem at all priming before it sucked the air. Now, I can't get it to work at all.

I decided to just get a replacement through Amazon...free of charge, I hope!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.